Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

thinking about a new tank, closed loop or no???

well it appears ( so far ) the recession hasn't hit us to hard here and work is still quite busy. so i'm still kicking around the idea of getting rid of my two 120G's and just setting up one tank. this is going to to be a peninsula ( viewable three sides ) and i really want to limit the number of visible flow sources in the tank.

to make this much easier, here's a quick sketch of what i was thinking.....

the left side would be a coast to coast with two overflows ( purple )

the two yellows are the possible intakes for the closed loop and would be buried in the LR.

the orange would be an oscillating return ( sea swirl or wavy sea, can't remember which one i liked better ), either over the top or through the bottom with a bulkhead.

the green's would be the sump returns / closed loop returns. the two on the left would probably come through the side or through the overflow bulkhead and shoot straight across the length of the tank, while the two on the right would be bulkheads through the bottom and be totally adjustable using PVC and hidden in the LR.

i've never really been a big fan of closed loops, only because the returns aren't as adjustable as using powerheads but i really want to try and give this setup as clean of a look as possible.

any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated...................
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I'm not a big fan of closed loops mostly because once its set up there is no changing it. You really need to have all your ducks lined up to make it work effectively or your just going to end up adding more powerheads later on.

I would look at running your return pump through somthing like an Ocean Motions unit or multiple Sea Swirls.

Edit: What tank is this going on, one of the 120s or a new tank?

I'm powerhead free with my present tank (second reef build) and I would not go back to using them on a display unless I had to. I just hated the added maintenance and wanted to try something else.

My original plan was for a double sided tank but leveling/supporting the floor where I wanted it didn't work as planned so I went with the traditional, against the wall cabinet thing. What I had planed for was the overflow as you mentioned plus two intakes covered by a grate off the bottom of the overflow box. That would have dispersed the intake flow allowing for the possibility of an anemone. The return on the closed loop would run up top, hanging from the trim, with about six outlets on each pipe.

Thick enough canopy trim should have hid the return lines. And the return lines could have been alternated with what I presently use for a wavemaker. I think it handles up to 3,000 gph or something like that.

Am I making any sense?

I considered a closed loop but decided that the extra plumbing and holes in my tank weren't worth the bother. I went with more flow inside the tank and am very happy. When conditions in my tank change I can change the flow just by moving a Turbelle or an MJ.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

If i could go back I'd go with a closed loop system. Less heat produced by pumps and its visually pleasing since you don't have any random located powerheads in you tank disturbing the "perfect" aquascape that took you hours to create :011:

liv
    I have closed loop at the moment.. and sware I wont go down that route again ! I've spent tons of money in the plumbing, pumps and motions devices.. in the end.. even with the best of the best ( I think ) Im still not satisfied. my next tank will be running possibly 4 vortech. the advantages of these littles devices far surpass a closed loop.
    Here I name a few key points:
    - The possibility to service them easily, and independently.
    - no leaks from plumbing ( less danger of leaks )
    - no heat transfer just like closed loop
    - possibility to move them around at will.
    - small footprint
    - quieter then most larger pumps.
    - no weakening of the glass!

the list goes on.

Believe me.. skip the closed loop.. go vortech.
    you can thank me later

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I have a closed loop and both like and dislike it.

When I first started it using the Ocean Motions 8 way I had no power heads in the tank which was nice and I got a really nice flow pattern. A couple of my outputs also had the OM Revolutions which helped make the pattern that much more diverse.

I do have a couple of problems with the closed loop. I used 2 screw in intake filters and "buried" them behind the rocks, and they are a PITA to get to for cleaning. Also the old style 8 way that I started with was upgraded by the manufacturer (nothing but good things to say about them) but now the new style has to go below the tank which I haven't done due to cost of all the valves and piping. I have a tempered bottom tank which prevented drilling so I had to run pipes down the back of the tank and through the sand for some up pointing nozzles.

I would look at the OM website forums for some great ideas on how to set up a closed loop and videos of water motion you can achieve. You can always add a powerhead or two later if you want but you can't add a good closed loop after the fact.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    I have closed loop at the moment.. and sware I wont go down that route again ! I've spent tons of money in the plumbing, pumps and motions devices.. in the end.. even with the best of the best ( I think ) Im still not satisfied. my next tank will be running possibly 4 vortech. the advantages of these littles devices far surpass a closed loop.
    Here I name a few key points:
    - The possibility to service them easily, and independently.
    - no leaks from plumbing ( less danger of leaks )
    - no heat transfer just like closed loop
    - possibility to move them around at will.
    - small footprint
    - quieter then most larger pumps.
    - no weakening of the glass!

the list goes on.

Believe me.. skip the closed loop.. go vortech.
    you can thank me later
    I have seen some video footage of a few Vortech running in a peninsula tank and they ARE impressive. I have also seen the Polaris running in some video and that is also a pretty amazing idea. It was located inside an overflow box, sticking out each side. It doesn't pull out of the overflow. It pulls out one end and then reverses polarity and rotates the opposite direction. Massive flow.

thanks for the responses, sorry for my delay but that only means work is going even better :b16:

kenzy: this would be for a 250+ tank

ahhhhh, i still can't decide :b7:

i really want to cut down on the "junk" in the tank but at the same time i hear all of you guys with the "non-adjustable" and regrets. this tank will be manufactured by one of the larger NA builders and customized to my needs ( my LFS has some pull :b15: ), so the bottom will be tempered after drilling.

well i have some more ideas now and i'll go looking around the manufactures websites. i'm pretty sure i'll be able to figure something out, realistically the third side is wasted between the wall and tank ( walk though to kitchen ) so maybe the vortechs are the way to go.........

thanks again guys :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    Go vortechs he he
    did i mention no leaks ? and you can move them around at will ?
    you can also add more of these little buggers at times goes for even more flow and they all talk to each other so they can be synched up.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast