STN or RTN Experience

I think I have RTN... I came home yesterday to find the bottom 1/3 of my purple tip acro totally bleached. I don't think it is bug as the flesh is hanging, etc. I fully expect to have the entire coral bleached when I arrive home tonight. I was lucky as it has affected my least favourite coral and I don't really care to save it.

Does anyone have any experience with rapid or slow tissue necrosis? Any suggestions for my tank and/or other corals?

Ross

liv
    This is a common issue for my purple acro as well.
    they seem to do great for a year about.. then within one day, boom half the coral is gone and unless i break off branches, the entire colony is gone.
    its not flatworms in my case.. nothing was introduced, must be stress or some infection that happens that creates a chain effect and the entire coral goes.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

GSM
    Did your Alk drop at all? A drop in Alk usually causes STN in my tank - always starts at the base of my Acro's. Stops once I start bringing up my alk - fragging doesn't usually work for me to stop it until I fix my alk.

Cheers,

Greg

Ironically, I have had it about a year exactly. I am not too upset as it is me least favourite piece in my tank. When they say purple tip, they neglect to mention that the other 80% is brown :b7:. My concern is that it spreads to my other sps which I care much more about.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    This is a common issue for my purple acro as well.
    they seem to do great for a year about.. then within one day, boom half the coral is gone and unless i break off branches, the entire colony is gone.
    its not flatworms in my case.. nothing was introduced, must be stress or some infection that happens that creates a chain effect and the entire coral goes.

I dose daily and my alk is usually fairly consistent. The only change was I did a water change on Monday. Due to placement of the purple tip in my tank and no sump, the result is that he is out of the water for approx. 10 min. I have done this many times before without ill effect. Also I use IO so it spikes my alk a little, from 8.5'sh to 9.5'sh. Nothing drastic IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by GSM View Post
    Did your Alk drop at all? A drop in Alk usually causes STN in my tank - always starts at the base of my Acro's. Stops once I start bringing up my alk - fragging doesn't usually work for me to stop it until I fix my alk.

Cheers,
    Greg

using a complete additive or homemade? strontium is said to be the key that unlocked our ability to keep acros alive and I have wondered about recommendations for the homemade stuff being balanced with all the other Trace Elements required for true corals.

Bulk Reef Supply

Quote Originally Posted by kennyfish View Post
    using a complete additive or homemade?

As expected I came home to an acro which 2/3 bleached and flash hanging. I expect it will be a goner by the morning.

The other thing I noticed is that my temp is up to 85 :b13: I suspect it has only shot up over the last couple days as the evenings where very cool prior. Good thing tomorrow is my lights off day, one day a week I don't turn my lights on. Saves a buck, is my contribution to the environment, and simulates cloudy days kinda.

liv
    frag the s* out of it while it still has some living tissues.. place them at other locations in your tank.. thats how I'm able to keep mine going after allthese years. last big crash the coral was about 20" wide and ~10" tall.. beautiful, and within 1-2 days it was gone.. i was able to keep a few branches and start over.. now my biggest pieces are about the size of a large fist.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by RossW View Post
    Bulk Reef Supply
    I looked at the ingredient list for them and noticed NO Strontium along with a few other things that I DO see listed on the brand of 2 part I use.

I could have missed it. It could be a byproduct in something else or just omitted from the list? Some people using the bulk might make up for it with salt mix and water changes or other additives? I don't know. Just trying to suggest that it might be something you want to look into a bit when you have time. I am no bio chemist and I find all this stuff one of the most complex areas in our hobby.

I use a brand of additive that a lot of people feel is over priced, but it clearly labels Strontium in a chloride form and a sulfate form. I don't go through much so I'm happy with what I have and my Acro has only been around about six months too. You are further into this than I am.

Also I never think it is one bullet that fixes stuff. It is just one thing we fix at a time to pick away at issues.