Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sascha is in trouble :(

Last Tuesday night I set a trap to try and catch a possible evil acro eating crab. It's just a tall glass with a full scallop weighted down with a glass marble.
    http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/pics/trap01.jpg

The next morning when I came down there were a half dozen bristle worms and a nassarious snail in the glass but nothing left at all of the scallop. Later that day I noticed that Sascha, my 6" male squarespot anthias has a snootful of bristles. The bristles were gone after a couple days but Sascha hasn't eaten since then.

I've had him since October 8th and he's had the most voracious appetite I've ever seen since the day I got him. He's not showing any signs of trouble at all, no spots, no change in behavior, nothing I can see wrong with his mouth. He is starting to lose a little colour but not much at all. He's a big fish and very thick so I'm not seeing any sunken stomache yet. He has a HUGE mouth and it is possible that he ate the full scallop in the trap along with a few bristleworms.

I've been feeding all his favourite foods but the only thing he will even taste is flakes but he just spits them out. He won't go near any of the frozen foods. Before all this he used to eat anything and everything I would put in the tank.

Today is his 9th day without eating and I'm really getting worried. I can't bear to watch this beautiful fish starve to death. Anyone have any ideas?
    Susan

flame

If he did indead eat the whole scallop! he/she? is probaly really full. But, he also might have injested a worm at the same time and has an upset stomach.9 days is long but what can you do? not much but hope and pray. That is an awsome fish and I'm sure he'll start eating soon.

ATC
    I've been told that epsom salts will sometimes help a fish pass blocks...I'll have to look for the email about doses or maybe Barry remembers....?
    Aven

Let me know if you find it Aven. I did a Google on it but didn't come up with anything.

I just emailed the guys at Wet Web Media. I suspect Johnny is right but I feel that if there is something I should be doing here I'd really like to know about it.
    Susan

flame

in the wild a lot of fish can go weeks without eating,but,anthias I'm not to sure as I know they feed alot[constantly] but is that because they don't always get alot in the wild? I'm not to sure. Hang tight because theres nothing you can do. I have no clue how epsom salts would help[were in a salt water enviroment already] but who knows in this wacky and fun hobby! Good luck SASCHA and hang in there.

Susan,
    Have you tired asking in the fish disease forum on RC? I know it's not a disease he has, but it DOES concern treatment for the epsom salts. Maybe also the Reef fish forum..., or heck.., just go to the main traffic in the reef discussion forum. This might be more of a topic for the traffic that happens over there.

No, I haven't posted about it on RC yet but I will.

Here's the reply from Wet Web Media:

Well... for certain, there has to be some pain involved from those bristles, and I'd guess as you have that your fish has swallowed at least as many as you saw on its nose. For the most part, fish can go quite a while without eating, and certainly were starved on their way to our collective tanks. Depending on the initial health of the fish - and yours sounds quite healthy - they can go upwards of three weeks without eating, although at some point during that time, they will begin to 'feel' hungry... kind of like I do right now. With any luck, the brute force of hunger will take hold and the fish will start eating again soon. I do think your fish will be fine, and I'd use its favorite food to tempt it back into its old habits - perhaps finely cut if you think particle size might be an issue, likewise other meanty foods like clams or mysis should get the ball rolling. Remove anything doesn't get eaten so it doesn't have another run-in with the bristle worms. There are more drastic measures if things don't improve, but let's stay positive and give us a holler if things don't improve in the next couple of days.
    Susan

Susan,
    For what it's worth, I got an Achilles Tang about 3 or 4 weeks ago and only this past week has it started to gobble up anything I add to the tank as food. Before that, it wouldn't even notice anything I added. Mind you, this is different because it was simply not comftorable yet in it's new home, but the point is that it went for quite awhile before eating and it didn't get thin at all. I would think that in it's case also, it was simply hunger that pushed it to start tasting and then realize that the stuff is actually good. Be patient for a bit longer and just keep an eye on him.

I'm heading to the grocery store in a few minutes and will pick up some shrimp, clams, oysters - and anything else tempting they might have to try and coax him. Before this happened Sascha used to eat 3 meals of varied frozen, 2 meals of flakes, 1 meal of PE Mysis and some stray brine shrimp from the tubastreas, every day. The amount he would consume was just amazing. To see him go from that to nothing has been hard to watch. I am glad to hear that he can probably go a good bit longer though. Hopefully he'll start eating again soon so that I can stop worrying about him. He's such a beautiful, wonderful fish. He just has to make it!
    Susan

Susan - This is not the exact email but it was essentially the same thing.

You can safely add to your reef 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) per five gallons (level teaspoon per gallon) to the water to see if this "moves" the blockage. Additionally, while the animal is there, do feed it Artemia/Brine Shrimp... a laxative type food if ever there was one.

Aven
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast