RTBA (rose tip bubble anemone)/ trouble

so i have had my RTBA for about 2 years now, and this is the first time i see it do something like this. just before the lights were schedualed to go out i was looking around at my aquarium just to make sure everything was in place, and noted that my RTBA was releasing this white stuff into the water it' didint look slimy made my water kinda cloudy.
    i reacted kinda fast and gave it some silver sides to eat quicky hoping it's not on it's way out i dont want to lose my whole stock i have in there.

also i know clams sometimes release something into the water if the parameters are a bit wack, i was wondering if it was the same thing. iv done some testing on my tank already just before i'm writing this and everything seems to be normal i'm going to do another run in the am as well as tomorrow night. to make sure everything is in check.
    i also knowticed the water was a bit warm so i turned on the fan i have right beside my tank when it gets really hot during the day maybe that could be why?!... the anemone itself looks kinda not happy right now it doesn't have any bubbles the tentacles are very small and lanky.

if anyone has anything to say PLEASe help me out, i'm very partial to my anemone but not willing to risk everything else dieing as well. i would rather ditch the anemone

THANK everyone for their help
    Todd

liv
    there are 2 ways an anemone reproduces, one is by splitting, the other with eggs and sperm. They are usually all hermaphrodites so have both sexes.

Unless your tank is in very bad shape, its probebly just spawning

Congrats.. your probebly doing something right

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

oh wonderful! haha! NOT!!! i guess i'm going to be doing lots of water changes than... now i'm not sure if you would know this or not, but the eggs are the very small like i'm talking smaller than a pin head almost like dust. because i saw infact yesterday i believe this exact thing floating around in my tank. not sure what it was but now i guess it's starting to connect

well i'm going to keep an eye on things for a while longer with a flash light just to make sure things done get real bad tonight.
    i'm not sure if this is a real dumb question or not but, since it's spawning in the water does this mean i'm going to have baby anemones EVERYWHERE?! haha!... cuz that would be a MinOr problem

thank you for the quick reply

Todd

liv
    our anemonies reproduce in captivity, but its usually by splitting that it occurs.
    you would need a much different setup of this to happen. grow species of planktons, low/no current, .. not on a reef.. they will come coral food.

run carbon, do water changes are your best bet, keep that skimmer cup clean.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

haha great!!! sounds good a free mean for some hungry specimens

copy that, water changes, skimmer cup

this is it's second attempt at reproducing, it's not going so well. the first time i succeeded, i had two living in there for a while it obviously split. i had to take it out and sell it, it was taking up WAY to much space.

thanks again liv
    Todd

ijo
    I have never seen anemonies spawn like this. I suspect it is very happy!!

Do you have any pictures you could share?

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I suspect it is very happy!!

it could be that or the complete opposite, there is also the possibility that it was a survival spawn ( trying to carry on the genes ). i would be curious to see your tank parameters as well as know just how high your tank temperature went and the difference between day and night temperatures.

if your still a little concerned for the anemone, post a pic or two, we should be able to get a good idea of its general health.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wend121 View Post
    This isn't spawning, this is what happens when you leave your anemone alone with marijuana. Personally, mine just splits, and splits, and SPLITS. My clownish now have 5 different homes to choose from in my tank, and it's getting really annoying. I had already managed to remove 2 of them. That would be 7 in total so far.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

lol, i've lost count so i just keep feeding any tentacles i see. i've sold 2 or 3 and still have probably 8 more in the tank.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery