Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Unhappy Fish death... do you tear down tank to get it out??

Well, My Kole tang is nowhere to be seen today. Searched high and low. Fed the tank, everyone came out but her.

So my question is, what do you guys do when a fish disappears and you can't find it? Expecting the worse, do you take all the rock out to find the body and get it out? Or let the tank inhabitants take care of it?

I normally wouldn't bother with something as small as a chromis. But this was a 2" diameter fish...

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Tang Man, it would depend on how many detrivores your tank has. If you have lots of large bristleworms, the body may be gone already. Personally, I would just keep an eye on the ammonia levels and watch for the body without too much disturbing of the tank, but I have a deep sand bed and dead stuff seems to just get swallowed up by it.

Too bad about the tang! I lost a jawfish not long ago. It just disappeared one day. I figured it was down its burrow and there was no way to get it out anyway. :-( It was our favourite fish, and we are having a heck of a time finding another.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I wouldn't tear a tank down...unless it was a tiny one. Keep a check on your water parameters for the next while though.
    Gail, jawfish are only " in season" in the fall, for a reason I'm not sure of? You should be able to get one then.
    Lynn

I see that Aquacreations has a couple of them. Although you'll pay a fair amount for it. (the Jawfish I'm refering too) lol

I think by tearing down the tank you would release just as much toxins into the water as the fish would..

I personally like to keep a few Brittle stars.. they are great at eatting up dead fish, Now if you allready have some in the tank.. his corpes might be already gone?

That's what I figured as well.. I thought I'd ask just to see what others do.

When I lose a fish I try to just move it onto the carpet anenome. He'll eat anything. if I can't, I just leave him in the tank and he's gone in no time. I've never had a large fish die yet but a large fish may contaminate the water a bit.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Nah!!!! In a tank the size of yours Vince, don't bother with trying to look for it. I've lost bigger guys too and the tank takes care of it dang quick!!
    Aren't you redoing your tank now too over the holidays?

By now, that fish is gone, gone, gone...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well, I didn't notice any change in the tank's conditions since the fish disappeared...
    As for re-doiing the tank, I've been trying to put it off... hoping... that I wouldn't have to do it. I'll make my decision for sure after this week-end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast