Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Skimmer Overflowing Question?

Alright so the problem im having is my Skimmer is overflowing when the power goes you and then comes back on..

the skimmer is 1/2 inch inlets and outlets.. Now this makes for the issues!!! As what happeneds when the power goes out the water drains out.. Some.. working on installing some sort of a Syphone break.. Not sure how yet.. But then when the water comes back on.. what happeneds is the Skimmer fills then starts to overflow while the water starts to drain!.. once it starts draining then its fine the water level goes back down.. Witch i need to pick up a PVC Gate Valve to get better control over the water level..

But i guess what im saying is? What can i do? Other than drill out the hole bigger? Do you think that by using a 1/2 inch - 1 inch inducer work.. to make the drainning Pipe 1 inche instead of the 1/2 inch like the inlet is.. that would make a big difference would it not?

Should i do somthing like this?

Think by changing the tubing from 1/2 inch to 1 inch.. think that would solve my Overflowing issues?
    Also thinkin of doing this so i can add in that airline tubing at the top to use as a syphone break.. so when the power goes out.. the skimmer does not drain to match the sumps water level?

Johnny..I need some pictures of your big skimmer

mikey

I'll take a pic tonight and show you what I hoocked up. The pic you have will not work and your skimmer won't do a good job. I raised my skimmer up a bit from the floor and the pump has to be near the sump level or a bit below. Water will drain back when power goes out but we'll work that out.

Johnny,

What do you think of this idea?

mikey

ain't gonna work. from what I can tell you are running a sump no? you see, your drain line should be at the bottom. I realize that you have an extra line running to the bottom of your sump but why? your pump and venturi should be about 1 foot above your drain line so bubles won't fall and get sucked into your tank. Your skimmer should be built already for these applications and the only thing I can tell from what your trying to do is that you have no sump and a tank.With the lates pic even if the power went out the water would drain back through the pump anyways. I'll take some pics and post them around 4pm as I'm at work right now. If you have a sump you have to make sure it can handle the powerout and the flow back from the skimmer. I can't see anyways around this as thats how the big skimmers work best.

another

venturi
    okay ,here you see the pump input is right above the drain line with the gate valve. The pump sits on a milk crate and is about the same height as the sump. The hose does go over the sump lid about 8'' and then drops to the bottm of the sump. Normaly people have there sumps drilled so the pump sits on the ground and sucks water staight from the sump bottom but I didn't have this option. Pumps don't like to suck water from any height but rather are made for [pushing water]

another

pic
    you see the return[drain line] on the very bottom with the gate valve. it has to go up hill a bit but I had no troubles as the height of the skimmer pushes the water thru to the sump.you have to adjut this valve slowlly until you get a dry foam. To much wet foam will cause you to lose water and/or you'll have a small fload.

last one

full
    here is were you see all the bubbles which need the contact time in the chamber. Thats why its essential to have your venturi just above the drain but not to close so bubbles don't suck back into the sump. The new LIFEREEF has a special type of baffle but I have the older model but it works just fine. I also run an airline hose to the top of the skimmer so incase of a power outage water won't leak out the venturi. It shouldn't as theres a special valve there but precautions! You don't want any tube or other pvc inside your skimmer or it will inturrupt the vortex action of the bubbles and water.

First where did you find the Gatevalve.. i have been looking all over Toronto looking for a PVC one and cant find one!

the other thing is .. I have 2 holes on the skimmer One 6 inche from the bottom and the other is about 6 inches from the top..
    thats why i had that top hole using for the Pump feed line and in the skimmer i had a Pipe going down all the way to the bottom.. So its just like if the inlet was at the bottom!

John's right. Put the venturi inlet about 10-12" above bottom of skimmer. You can also put it closer to the botton, the 90 deg up to that 10-12" level. see www.lfereef.com or at lest leave the outlet below the level of the input if possible.

You will absolutely have to leave enough room in the sump to handle the overflow.

The only problem with the second picture, the blue one, is wouldn't the water possibly still start a siphon and drain the skimmer?

Basically, the best thing to do is attach the skimmer to the sump, then fill the sump to it's maximum limit, (return pump off), which will also fill the skimmer to the same level, turn the skimmer pump on and hopefully you'll have enough water in the sump to fill the skimmer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast