Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

any experience with a Copperband Butterflyfish ( CBB )

i've had ~ a 4" ( wanted smaller but none around ) in QT for a couple of weeks and have a couple of questions.

how do they do with aggressive fish??

i have a purple tang and damsel that are pretty aggressive the CBB is so timid and even when more comfortable docile. if i sit next to him for a few minutes he will come out and just float near the top of the tank. i swear at this point i could reach in and pick him up and he wouldn't fight.

is this normal???

i've added some LR with FD and aptasia as well as given a couple mysis every other day, can't say for sure he's eating them or the pods clean it up. if i sneak up on him he's picking at the LR but only see missing FD's no aptasia yet but i'm glad he's eating something. :b16:

he looks fine and i'm thinking of moving him to the fuge today to provide more LR and natural food. i want to go directly to the tank but think i need to be here to watch the purple b**ch, she has been very aggressive lately.

is there any other food i should try offering???

and any thoughts on introducing such a peaceful fish to a mildly ( alright more than mildly ) aggressive tank.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    the cbb will do great with those fishies.
    the cbb is not aggressive, but will show its spine to anyone who try to push him around..he may not at first.. but give him a few days and other fish will respect his dorsal spines.. believe me.
    I've had a few.. all were awesome and didn't take any sh** from any fish.
    they also ate what ever i dumped in the tank. ( my own recipe of food )

I sold one of them to Dave, the other died stuck between sps branches.
    I will be getting one as soon as my tank is ready for fish.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i dropped him in yesterday morning and he's swimming around the fuge like a dingbat. i'm going to Ocean Abyss Aquatics this morning to pick up some salt, after i get home i may try moving up to the tank. the problem is that the PT will take runs at me when i try to give her some nori. it's almost like being at marineland, a change of clothes is often required.

from re-reading my previous thread of ~ a year ago, i'm going to try a little brine shrimp too, i know it's not as nutritious but i just want to make sure the CBB is getting something before he depletes the tank of FD's.

i've caught him floating and rotating at the surface. what i mean is he will float up to a corner, then rotate his beak down, then slowly roll over a bit sideways. i think he's just looking around and if i approach the tank he snaps back up and starts racing around under the LR and back up the other side but is perfectly normal and level.

is this somewhat common behaviour??

i'll try to snap a pic or two if shamu will let get near the tank :b13:
    `

My Gallery

liv
    The head tilting down is a natural behavior.. a sign of aggression usually.. he's probebly mentally preparing himself for the bombardment. he he
    he could be curious too.
    if the fuge is too small.. he might just be bored and out of space.

it's absolutely to small, ~ 17G but my QT is only 20G. it just seemed pointless to keep trying to provide FD's in the QT when the fuge is full of them.

over the years i've lost a few fish that i always thought were jumpers, after watching the tang after adding my last fish, i'm starting to think she chased them out.

i've decided, he's moving up today, but he's going to have to do it with full lights. i'm going to have sit next to the tank all day and probably sleep on the couch tonight, we'll see..................
    `

My Gallery

you could try the egg crate trick. Put a piece of egg crate in the tank to split the tank into too sections. Put the CBB on the side where the pt isn't. Then they can see each other but the PT can't do any harm and remove the egg crate in a couple days after the PT doesn't care anymore.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I read of a guy who uses a small mirror to show his more aggressive fish their reflection when he would add new fish. This would confuse the agressor in to thinking there's more then one new fish in the system;It gets confused and calms down.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    yes.. and it works.
    also try a picture of a similar fish on the glass.

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    i got a CBB from a fellow reefer and put it in my 180g. they had it for about 6 months. i heard that they dont live long and are hard to keep so i was sort of leary about getting it. anyway it was a beautiful fish very active. the next week it killed two ausie acans and i couldnt catch it... it cleaned all the feathers off my rocks as well. two weeks later i found it with its beak stuck under a piece of LR dead?

well he's been in for a couple hours and i hear the odd splash but so far so good. the tang pinned the CBB to bottom almost instantly and i thought it was all over but things appear to have calmed a bit ( splash marks at 2' on the wall ).

when i was at OAA i also grabbed a couple tiny skunk cleaners and a peppermint shrimp, they're not in yet but i'm hoping they'll distract the tang ( she's not to bright, ohhhh shiny shrimpies :b15: )

thanks for tips guys, i have a mirror and some egg crate ready just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by upthecreekwithoutapaddle View Post
    two weeks later i found it with its beak stuck under a piece of LR dead?

seems to be trend, they don't seem to be very smart but if you take into account how skinny their head is, there can't be much going on in there.
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast