Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hydro Costs In Ontario !!!!!!!

Is it just me or are others with larger tanks, like say 100 gallons and over who live in Ontario feeling the pinch of BIG, make that GROSS hydro bills. Crap, my stinking hydro bill has climbed so much over the last 3 years that I have already cut the lighting on my tank in half. Good thing I didn't decide to go with live coral.
    There's nowhere else in the house where I can cut back on usage and the upcoming "smart meter" effect combined with the new HST tax might force me to have to make tough decisions. What plans if any do you lads / gals have in mind for your tank lighting to deal with the increased costs of electricity that is used during the "peek" usage hours. I am actually thinking of lighting my tank from 9 PM to 7 AM when power is 1/2 the cost of peek time. Kind of seems senseless but I would be able to enjoy it with the lights on from 9 PM to 11 PM. I may even start cycling my pumps 2 hours on / 1 hour off.
    What sort of hydro bills are you lads / gals paying these days? My last bill was over $500 for 63 days!!!!!!
    Rob

I've been reading up on it because we're moving to Ottawa next August. I'm thinking it's not your lights you need to look at.

Peak rate is up to 9.3 cents / KWh, off peak is 4.4 cents. (http://www.hydroottawa.com/smartmete...emplate_id=357)

A 400W MH lamp run for 6 hours will use 2.4KWh. If you have 3 of them over a large tank, that's 7.2KWh per day. At the highest rate, that's roughly $0.67 per day to run the MH lamps. So for a 63 day period, you should be looking at roughly $42 in this example.

If you shift it to the lowest, you drop to roughly $0.31 cents a day. Or roughly $20 in the same 63 day period.

Yeah there's more to a tank than lighting, to really get handle on what the tank is costing you check out something like a kill a watt: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/7657/ that's the least expensive model on the site, they go up from there for complexity.

To combat it though, the first thing is to make sure the devices you want off, are truely off. Anything left on its own to turn on & off is likely creating a phantom load while it's in idle - these can sometimes be as high as the device in use. I personally have a couple DC8s hooked up to my controller. Off means no power at the outlet.

But beyond that, the tank is *maybe* 20% of that hydro bill. Sure saving some bucks there would be great, but I'm thinking there are additional fish to fry... pardon the pun

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

liv
    even in Qc.. I had some stupid bills on my old setup. its one of the reasons I went smaller. for a 2 month period, I hit I think 680$ !!! I was not happy.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Wow.. I would love it if our electrical costs were so low!
    12.6 cents/kWh here.. all day.. all night..
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Angry Hydro Costs in Ontario

Thread needs a new title - shoud read "Hydro Costs in Ottawa".

I live in North Gower, just south of Ottawa, yet technically since regional amalgamation, it's part of the City of Ottawa.

However, Hydro Ontario doesn't treat me the same as you lucky Ottawa Hydro customers.
    First 1,000 KwH per month - $0.058
    Remaining $0.067, then add
    Delivery $0.0497
    Regulatory $0.00667
    Debt Retirement $0.00645
    and GST

Yearly average (2009) $0.1277 for 21,800 KwH

Just another lie about the benefits of amalgamation - HAH!
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

Yeah I was thinking about it more after I posted & thought the numbers on hydro's web site looked low.

I think you get to pay all the same charges in Ottawa, the time of day rate replaces the power charges (first 1000KwH & remaining KwH). I'm thinking that the delivery, regulatory, and debt retirement charges still apply, they're just not advertising them.

If so it completely changes the model. Peak times would have a total charge of $0.1582/KwH. That makes a single 400W MH lamp cost $0.062328 / hour. 3 of them for 6 hours a day, 63 days is: $70 + gst, give or take. Using the North Gower rates, that's an increase charge (assuming peak rate) of $15.88 + GST.

Which jives more with what I was payig for my 400W lamp in Hull - roughly $30 a month. I'm told power is less expensive this side of the river.

It also makes sense that hydro won't do us much of a favor. So if you run the lights during peak it will cost you $15 more per two months, if you run them off peak i'm getting about $1 lower than the North Gower rates.

Does that make sense?
    Cheers!

i work midnights so i have my lights come on later in the day any ways lol maby i just found one good thing about this stupid shift

I have been talking to my friends and the lads at work and it looks like I am using about 50% more hydro then they do. For the last 63 day period the bill says I used 46.30 KW a day!!!

I did some research and it looks like "leakage" as they call it for items that remain ON in a standby mode is good for about 20 bucks a month.
    Rob

liv
    ya... soo many items we could unplug completely. even in standby mode, tons of items that are not energy star take more then 5% of their total rated power.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Sorry for the delay in getting back - but if you suspect leakage a simple solution is a power bar for those devices that can be "unplugged". Kill the power at the power bar.

It's a pain for things that need to keep date & time information, but a surpising number of things suck up phantom power / leak.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast