rust never sleeps........ now maybe i can ? ?

well, i made a horrible discovery the other day will looking around up in the joist of my basement. despite the three coats of spray tremclad i had applied during installation, the gas line that goes above my tank had rust on top.

so i covered the sump, wire brushed the gas line and applied another coat of tremclad with a roller ( much thicker application than spray ). today was the third cover and coat and i feel i have sealed it enough to start the clean up. i'm going to add a few more coats but feel there is very little chance anymore rust could make it into the sump. so i removed and cleaned my skimmer ( in the bathtub )/ heaters / etc... and vacuumed out the sump with a shop vac, rinsed with RODI and repeated. i'm going to change out and increase the carbon in my reactor but am wondering if there is anything else you guys think i should be doing????????

now, i never found any rust or metal in the sump but understand that there has to have been some that made it in. i'm hoping this was why i lost my gigantea but wont be rushing out to get another just yet, even though the ORG has some real stunners ( red ) in right now.

any info or thoughts about how best to deal with this would be greatly appreciated.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    if rust went into the tank.. carbon is still a good bet. as it should attrach the iron ions.

as for the gas line.. why not either spray foam it.. or put that water line insulation foam that come in usually 4feet sections.. its cut alongt he belly for easy install and you remove that yellow sticker and the thing binds to itself... but sprayfoam would be better.. as there would be no way for it to ever get there.. ever. he he..

how bad is the hose ? if its pretty rusty.. you might want to remove it and replace that section ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

it's actually ~ 1" rigid steel pipe and the rust was only on the top surface and was minimal, i'm very confident there is no risk of a leak. i'm just hoping this has been the cause of my unexplainable deaths ( inverts ) and with a little TLC i can get things back on track and start buying corals and clams again.

i've cleaned and overstocked the reactor with new AC and i'm keeping my fingers crossed :b3:
    `

My Gallery

liv
    if it rusted.. means it either had water or condensation/moisture. I"d still seal the sucker with foam..

I'm assuming, and hoping it's at least 1" ID black pipe. It easily rusts when in contact with moisture. Just the other day, I ran a new gas pipe in to a customers home, within 3 or 4 hours the pipe was already rusting before I got around to painting it (outside the house). You could try liv's idea and foam it, if it's close enough to a wall or joists to be foamed in. Another thing you can do is simply wrap the pipe with duct tape. You can use black duct tape to make it less ugly... We're actually required to duct tape the pipes when we run through the concrete foundation of houses. So the lime doesn't rot the pipe.... Are you saying you think you may have been losing corals from contamination of rust getting in to your water from when you were cleaning off the rust? But by the sounds of the painting you did, it shouldn't rust again for decades.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Are you saying you think you may have been losing corals from contamination of rust getting in to your water from when you were cleaning off the rust? But by the sounds of the painting you did, it shouldn't rust again for decades.
    not from when i cleaned it but from before i found it. this could have been going on for years and for the last year + i've had a hard time keeping any inverts in the tank despite near perfect water parameters. it is a 1" solid steel pipe and i'm planning on adding another few coats of tremclad, then doing routine inspections and painting as needed. i think i would be to nervous sealing it away where i couldn't inspect for deterioration.

now i need to go look if they did anything to protect the gas line where it enters my house, doubt it but worth checking.

thanks for the help guys :b15:
    `

My Gallery

a4twenty, when you painted the pipes all you did was seal in the condensation/moisture. It(rust) will work itself back out through the paint. Goto your nearest KROWN RUST CONTROL garage and buy a can of T40, around 10$, take a rag and spray the T40 on the rag and then wipe whatever you don't want rusting with the rag. Ive used this KROWN product on everything possible and it works great.

goto krown dot com to find your local KROWN shop

DARK
    James

i would be worried about that oil getting into my system though. i'm hoping with repeated coats of paint that i can seal the rust away from the 02, thereby stopping rust in it's tracks.

thanks for the tip, i'll look into it but the oils scare almost as much as the rust
    `

My Gallery

liv
    he he.. and James works for an Krown place I think ...mouahahahah

oops.. did I say this out loud :b2:

I own a Krown Shop least until its sold!

Putting oil on a rag will not cause any harm to your system. Now if you walk into your sump room and start spraying, thats another story.

I had major salt spray on the metal tank stand, just soaked the metal and its been good ever since. I apply about twice a year because its ALOT of salt spray from both sumps.