Clam and Polyps Question

At Boxing Day, I bought 3 Asst. Clams (Small size) and it die after a month, I did the testing of the water and it is so normal and sure I have a skimmer and refugium to support my tank! Also, I have a MH Light and I put them at the bottom and I did water change every 2 to 3 weeks) I did a lot of research (like it can be stress if the fish move them a lot.. etc).
    2nd Question, the polyps at my tank is not growth and dying slowly. (I have mushroom, touch and they all go fine). again, all the testing show my tank is fine.

Can anyone give me some hint? My tank is 56g and it run 1 1/2 year. I believed something I miss and never realize! I don't want any clam die or polyps die too!! Thank you very much!
    :028:

It ain't about how you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

I am sorry to hear about your loss. The very small clams are often hard to keep alive. The problem is that they are usually severly stressed through the move, photosynthetically cannot support themselves so require supplemental filter feeding and may be exposed to air during transfers.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

powder18

i had my blue maxima for 3 months a year ago same thing what happened to your clam and no clue what went wrong but all my clams seems doing okey. stressing out your clams might also one of the reason or could be one of your fish harrassing your clams. one of my friend his cleaner wrasse killed his crocea, and i've seen this also at marinescape a while ago they have to fish it out this wrasse, i was there to see of what this fish did to their clams. do you ever feed your clams...etc like phytoplankton something help to relived this stress.

Question

Hi guys, thanks for the reply. I guess fish attach is one of the reason but I don't know, base on your information, I think stress out is the factor. I did feed phytoplankton 3 time per week.

Anyway, do anyone have any idea about my second question?

It ain't about how you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

liv
    well the mushrooms may not like the halides too much.. they are low light animals.
    you tested for copper ? you might have that or other contaminates .. you using rodi ?

you tested ph, alk, ca, nitrates,nitrites, phosphates ?
    and with which kits ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I never test the copper, but if this is the case, why all other coral have no problem? I have some mushrooms have no problem too, why only Polyps. Interesting, right? I did test the ph, alk and ca but not nitrates, nitrites and phosphates. I 'guess' I did water change every 2 to 3 week for 10 to 20% should be fine, so I didn't do the test. Also, I never to rodi...

liv
    you could have a critter bugging the polyps.. you wouldn't happen to have a tiger cowrie or another type of these snails by any chance ? they eat polyps.

I don't have any tiger cowrie but not sure the snails. I did some close monitoring and I 'guess' the hermit crab bother them so much and they stress! however, this is not 'really' make sense for me!

liv
    ya.. starved crabs will attack anything that tastes good.
    how many u got ? for a 56g 5-6 crabs is probebly quite enough.