kat

Everything "Aussie"

Ugh, so around here the big thing is now to label EVERYTHING "Aussie" and then see the price go through the roof....how can you tell if a coral really is from the land down under? I know of two suppliers that are calling everything aussie, and I also know their wholesale source and have been told by a VERY reputable seller that the particular source doesn't buy aussie stock...soooo in order to "protect" for lack of a better term the wallet and my friends that I think are being dupped, how do you know if it is really Aussie?

kat
    I am stunned that there aren't opinions on this one!!

powder18

its hard to tell between indo and aussie, but most likely the coloration aussie have more stunning coloration than indo. sucks ehy , priced really crazy:b2:

Nothing wrong with asking for a CITES certificate from the seller.

If the seller doesn't have it he should be asking his supplier because he would be purchasing at a higher cost if it is in-fact Aussie.

Bottom line, if you have doubt don't buy.

You can also research specific species that come from Australia that don't exist anywhere else in the world.

In the event that a particular type of coral exists in multiple locations then it's hard to say whether it is an Aussie without proper documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by mhosts View Post
    Nothing wrong with asking for a CITES certificate from the seller.
    In the event that a particular type of coral exists in multiple locations then it's hard to say whether it is an Aussie without proper documentation.
    +1 I agree totaly, the problem is that some coral identification is almost impossible without the use of skelital studies , so at that note it would be hard to prove the coral is realy from anywere without a CITES certificate
    dont worry the world wont end today!, because its already tomorrow in Australia.:b15:

Quote Originally Posted by madkeenreefer View Post
    +1 I agree totaly, the problem is that some coral identification is almost impossible without the use of skelital studies , so at that note it would be hard to prove the coral is realy from anywere without a CITES certificate
    You also need to remember the economics of it also...

If you're buying an "Aussie" from the LFS, chances are that the LFS paid much more because it's an "Aussie"

That being said, if the store isn't asking for proper documentation then they aren't conducting responsible business.

If they are buying coral that ISN'T "Aussie" and selling it as such then it is an even bigger problem.

But I think that most of the stores (At least around Ottawa) are smarter than that, and wouldn't do something stupid to make a buck.

Moral in the end, just ask for the documentation either way.

aussie

we are moving there soon :b2:, we have friends there. they have a 250 gallon tank and all they do is go into the ocean and get their own fish and corals etc... (what are not on the endangered list) it is so fun when we go there in the summer