Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aiptasia

Unhappy Aiptasia

I have just spotted the first aiptasia in my 2 1/2 year old tank. I had to move my hammer coral because my new torch is irritating it. When I shifted the hammer, there was an inch long aiptasia under it, attached to the rock, merrily waving in the breeze. So- should I try smothering it with epoxy? buy a peppermint shrimp? remove the rock and soak it in FW ? (this won't be easy without disturbing several coarals but is possible). I have never had to deal with this problem- and I have only seen the one so it is not yet a plague. all advice appreciated! Thanks!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Be careful. If you damage it but don't kill it you can have a plague on your hands very quickly. Epoxy doesn't work very well, aiptasia can move easier than you think and always seem to find a way out. The safest way would be to remove the rock and deal with it but, as you said, it wouldn't be easy. Since it's fairly big I would recommend feeding it a thick blob of kalkwaser paste. Just drop it on it and let it try to eat it. 90% of the time this will cause it to just melt within minutes. Siphon out the remains, don't let it scatter in the tank.
    Susan

Thanks, Susan! I'll give it a try tomorrow morning when the pH is low so the kalkwasser doesn't raise it too high.. I don't see any others so maybe I'll get lucky and just have this one to deal with.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I have several buds of aptasia but the peppermint shrimp took them out quickly. I haven't had any sittings of return since. I do hear the trick with the peppermints are to get them at it when it not very large.

Prior to that I tried the trick of injecting hot water directly into them but they would just be stunted for a short while and then return.

The shrimp seemed to be the quickest and cleanest plus after getting the little critters they'll maintain the tank so the problem doesn't come up again. I just started with one (which did the job) but added a second for company.

Sounds like I better get a peppermint shrimp too! Unless of course Susan will loan out Chloe- and I doubt if THAT will happen!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Heh, nope! I do have 4 peppermint shrimp which don't eat aiptasia though. I suspect they aren't truly peppermints though, they are too red and have that hump on the back thing.
    Susan

Where did you get your "not really" peppermints, Susan? I better bone up on how to tell the real thing.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I think the ones with the bump on the back is sometimes referred to as camelbacks. Once again take this info with the knowledge that I'm new. haha

Well- last night I toasted the bugger with kalkwasser paste- and there is no sign of it this morning. So I'll keep an eye out for more, but I think that one is history. THanks guys!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Do you guys quarantine the reef custodians as well?

The last time I ordered reef custodians, I didn't quarantine them, the very next day I found a small bubble on the glass, a few days later it became a plague and I am still living with it as my peppermint wont touch them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast