Please help my suncoral

Hi everyone. My suncoral was doing great until a few days ago. It now has refused to open up for the last couple of nights and recently turned from a healthy orange-yellow color and now has a dull orange "moldy" appearance. It looks as if its molting if not dying. It was healthy just a few days ago. Does anyone have experience with suncorals and if so can you help me figure this out? Thanks very much.:b9:

liv
    Are you feeding it ?
    also, did you introduce any critters of any kind or see anything that could stress it ? how about parameters ?
    also sun corals dont light heavy lighting.. they are feeders only.. so no photosynthetis on these guys. it must be kept in the shade.. or total bottom at least.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I was thinking about that right after I posted. I scaled back a little bit because I thought maybe I could be over feeding. I do quite regularly add marine snow and phytoplex at night mainly. I was feeding it every night with brine shrimp should I go back to doing that maybe. I have not added any critters besides snails. I have a koran angel that might be picking on it but it wasn't for a very long time. The sun coral does hide under a shelf and is at the bottom of the tank. Its a 120g.

liv
    it definitely needs feeding.. either spot feeding or indirectly.. no feeding in most cases leads to starvation/death. unless your tank is ridiculously huge and they can live of debris from the fish waste of food or output.. you gotta feed those guys.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I have about 1/5 of the bottom of a 6 footer that has become (mostly) covered by sun coral and duncans.

When I first brought the individual pieces in, they weren't opening. I succeeded with these by feeding them (a little) every day at roughly the same time (around sunset). I gave them marine snow and cyclopeze. I used the kent target feeder and set them up where they got an amount of waterflow going across them. Even though they refused to open I kept on with the daily feedings.

After two months they started to stick just the tips of the tentacles out. When the tentacles came out enough, I started with frozen brine shrimp using a turkey baster, making sure each polyp got a shrimp. Being gentle enough to put a couple of brine shrimp into the polyp without making it close is almost an art but once you got them taking brine shrimp it gets easier to care for them.

Eventually when they smell food around thier feeding time they open up by themselves and it's easier to fill them up with brine shrimp. They need to be fed several times a day. So you feed and they close up and get real plump. Then they open up again after 5-10 mins and you feed them again. I do two or 3 feedings at sunset.

They're not easy to start and need a lot of food when they get going. If you keep them well fed they stay healthy. If you stop the routine, they use up thier reserves and then starve because they're used to a certain amout of food, and can't adapt to the change.

Suncoral finally opening again

Hello again.
    Thanks for the replies. About 9:30 last night my suncoral once again began to open up so immediately I fed it a healthy diet of brine shrimp. It seems to like that very much. I also have great news! My mated pair of clownfish have a clutch of eggs attached to a rock. It was neat to watch them change from guarding frogspawn to some hammer coral I had put in a few months ago. Now the hard part will be to keep them alive. Any ideas? I figure most of the other fish will get to em before they have a chance at survival. Hopefully they will end up in the skimmer and the overflows. I don't have another tank so I think I will just wait and see what happens. I will try and figure out how to post pictures soon. The eggs just look neat and watching the behavior of the clownfish is very fascinating.
    Any suggestions are welcome.:b16:

My two clowns for the past 6 months almost always have a patch of clownfish eggs on the rocks near the anemones in my tank. Unfortunately it doesn't go much further then that. They'll just oneday be gone, then days later there'll be more again. I don't know where they go, if they get eaten by other fish in the tank, or what. I'm sure I would probably get further if I had a proper clownfish breeding tank setup then a mixed reef environment. I'm curious how things will go for you.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Clownfish eggs

That is almost my same deal. The eggs are clutched right next to the anenome and I have been watching those eggs for about a week and a half now. Still not much going on with them though. The owner of the local fish store says they will most likely hatch at night with the fry going to the top only to be eaten by other fish or sucked into the overflows. I do on occation see small fry swimming in the overflows but not much else.
    My suncoral came back to "life" and is back to a healthy color and opening regularly. I went ahead and bought another suncoral frag last sunday. It looked a little worn out but there are 5 small polyps that I think I can get going again. I hope it works out. :b16: