Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird noise from tank

Hey all. I have a weird noise coming from my tank. Every now and then I get a tick tick tick noise. No set schedule to the noise. Its pretty loud. Been going on for months now. I've unplugged all the powerheads in the tank and it still happens. After light go out it still does happen but much much less. Which leaves me to believe its something in the tank.Pistol shrimp?? I've never bought one or seen the culprit. The tank in 300G so maybe a live rock hitchhicker??? Has anyone had a noise like this which lead to a tank faiulure(breaking glass)? Im kinda at a loss for what it could be. Maybe set up a trap...

I was also thinking of maybe getting a shrimp goby of some sorts , It might be able to seek out a pistol shrimp if it does exist.

liv
    ya.. could be a pistol shrimp or other types like the mantis shrimp.
    i've never heard a tank make tick tick sounds until it was too late.. I think you'd know by now if it was the tank.

maybe try and locate where its coming from.. sound travels alot faster in water, so its much harder for us to determine where its coming from, but maybe try and feel the tick with your hand against the glass.

so its doing that tick tick without any power on anything correct ? ( no motors, heaters, lights, ballasts etc) also make sure its not from the cooling ( dilatation of metals ) against another surface.. like some ballasts came make when cooling or warming up.

also check and make sure if a fish ( tangs ) didn't start digging with a rock,coral to make a nest. that happened to me in the past with a hippo tang, damn thing snapped coral branches here and there and would drop them what seemed to be randomly at the back of the tank from high up.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I sometimes get a sound like this as well. Not particularly loud. But it's a definite "tick, tick, tick" seems to come in 3's. I don't know if it's the pumps or what. I never really looked much into it. I seem to think it might be my return pump, but that's really just a guess.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

I had a mantis in my tank for about 6 months before I knew he was in there. The only way I found him was he came out and sat on his next meal. A snail that was on the back wall of the aquarium. Came right out in the middle of the day. Really abnormal for them.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Did you set a trap for him??

I actually just put a bet over him. I put him in another tank I had. Eventually gave him to someone.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I heard the same noise coming out of our 24G.
    The tank is in our bedroom and contains only 2 seahorses, xenias, zoos, some snails and a peppermint shrimp. We have more or less 10 lbs of LR.
    Could a mantis shrimp hide in such a small and open system? No room to hide, trust me!
    When we first heard this noise, our guess was that a snail's shell was hitting the glass. Would that make any sense? I noticed (but I don't know why) that the snails twist their shells around in fast movements. Could this result in the shell hitting the glass?
    I've had a pistol shrimp for a couple of years and the noise it made was quite loud. This is merely a few quiet "tics" once in a while, but only during the night...

maybe you only notice it at night...???

ruling out all electrical equipment ( heaters / pumps / etc... ) would be the first step. but yes a mantis could go unnoticed, for a while in a small tank, but you would also likely notice the carnage ( missing and smashed inverts :b13: ) much faster.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I don't like the idea of smashed inverts... but I don't know if it's a Mantis. And honestly, I wouldn't know how to find out!
    You are probably right about the fact that we NOTICE the sounds only at night. With all the lights and pumps and things during the day, it might be hard to hear anything at all!
    The other thing is, during the first heat wave of the summer, the one that lasted a few weeks, the fan on the 24G gave up on us... everything died, except our Six-Line Wrasse, who was in a pretty bad shape. (he now lives happily in our 65G) During that period of time, we stopped hearing the noises... and it started again when we set the aquarium back on tracks, but it's more rare now. (maybe once or twice a month)
    I wasn't that worried until you guys mentioned "Mr. Mantis"... :b9:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast