skunk clowns & carpet anemone?!

Hello
    i recently bought 2 skunk clowns, and in the future considering my tank is WAy to new, to put a carpet anemone in the tank, the only reason i say a carpet anemone is cuz i heard they would host this better than any others?!
    if i have it all wrong pls let me know.

i have had an anemone before RBTA, and i know of how much a pain they can be. so my concern is that i'm going to be making a reef with my tank. anyone with experience with carpet anemones in reef aquariums.

thanks
    Todd

the skunk clown ( Amphiprion perideraion ) is naturally hosted by the gigantea carpet anemone ( Stichodactyla gigantea ) but these are considered one of if not the hardest to keep anemone. i tried one a year or two ago and thought everything was going great, then he just stopped eating and whithered away. after loads of online research i found that this was the same for many people, regardless of experience or care. some say if your lucky and get a really healthy one you may have success but more often than not you will not.

the Ritteri / Magnificent ( Heteractis magnifica ) is also another suitable host but these guys also fall under the most difficult category, though i have never tried one.

other easier to care for options would be a Sebae ( Heteractis crispa ) but i think the best option would be a LTA ( Macrodactyla doreensis ). this anemone will also stay down on the sandbed, hopefully lessening any chance encounters with a powerhead.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

All anemones come with risks and downfalls. All anemones are opportunistic feeders and have been know to catch a fish or two, especially at night with fish that "float" around and don't lock them selves into the rocks. Also some are more sedentary then others but all can and will move whenever they decide. This can cause issues with powerheads or closed loop pump intakes as they get sucked in an chopped up, or can sting corals on their moves and if you are not around the death of the anemone or corals can cause a mess with the tank params. Then with anemones like the bubble tip if you give them all the food/light they need they will start to split and then you can end up as some have with many anemones taking over the tank. There is also no requirement for clown fish to have an anemone or no guarantee that any clown fish will host in an anemone even if that is the one they are normally found with in the wild.

Now I am not against anemones , in fact I setup a species tank for a long while just for a huge sebae anemone and sebae clowns, just want to make sure you know both sides. Just ask Liv what an anemone can cost :b10:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

ok Liv any experience?! lol
    and for knowing how much and anemone can cost i can tell you too, even in my small nano i had a RBTA when i moved, it got very unhappy and eventually got stuck in my power head killed everything, acans brains, worms, fish, (i think you get the picture) the only thing that survived was a couple polyips and a hermit crab, such a trooper.

i think i would be more interested in a Sebae anemone, iv seen them before their kinda pretty, (the ones that i have seen) and i would want something that doesnt take over the tank, gunna so some research on the sebae
    also i dont have metal halides, only T5HOx4 bulbs, pretty efficient lights but i'm soon gunna upgrade to LEDs i know lighting has a big part with anemones.

thanks
    Todd

T5HO's with a good fixture ( individual reflectors / ballasts etc..... ) are fine and a 4 bulb fixture will cover a 1' wide tank.

Liv's experience was with a S. haddoni, which are quite well know as fish eaters but Shipwreck is so right about the risks. most people don't know what they're getting themselves in for with anemones but learn quite fast, often with terrible consequences.

make sure you're looking for a H. crispa and not an H. malu, they are both often reffered to as a Sebae anemone.

H. malu will have very short stocky tentacles ( 1" - 2" ) and quite often be dyed very strong colours ( yellows / pinks / etc. )

H crispa will have much longer thinner tentacles ( 5" + ) and a healthy specimen should have a tan colour, usually with brightly coloured tips ( pinks / purples )

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

From Reefkeeping Magazine, 2003
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/hcs3/index.php

Later in the article, they suggest compatabile anenome /clownfish combinations...

HTH
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

liv
    he he.. ya my haddoni was a fish eater.. like 500$ of fish gone... maybe more.
    this thing unless fed daily ( and even then ) would eat your arm if you let it.
    i tried with 5 types of clowns; true percs, false percs, 2 types skunks ( orange and pinks ) and gold stripped maroons.

my last rbta's would roam all the time and would eventually end in the mp40's.
    wouldn't stay put at all.

i've had some great luck with them in the past.. and some real bad luck too.

go with the tammer long tenticle anemones is my suggestion.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Ok so I don't think I'm going to attempt a carpet they sound pretty aggressive and temperamental, my patients would wear thin fast haha.

So I was thinking I know a place that's getting maxi mini carpet nems, do you think they would tear them apart? Or would it be ok?!
    If not I guess I'm going to be getting a bta of some sort.

liv
    what species are the mini anemones.. eventually they all grow big.. and/or split.. smaller ones have less chance to survive with aggressive clowns like clarkii which do tend to beat the crap out of anemones. so tiny ones usually can't take that kind of abuse. But.. if you want clowns that will host just about any anemones, its the clarkii.. big and aggressive clowns for sure.. but they are known as the anemone whores :b2: LOL

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30