Power outages-effects

Hello All,

This morning we had a power outage for about 1 hour or so and the one thing I wish I had was a battery backup for my MP10's, and I was making waves by hand. My temp only dropped 1 degree, but I'm runniing it at 72, so this was not a big deal. What kind of effects can power outages cause? Longer than 1-2 hours? Anybody running battery backups, on pupms only, or more equipment? I want to get the Battery backup from Ecotech, but, not sure it this will run both pumps?
    30 Gallon Breeder Driiled
    20 Gallon Sump
    Bubble Magus NAC6A skimmer
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS

liv
    well.. the longer the poweroutage.. the less oxygen and it will lower the temp alot also.. specially in the winter. also light needy corals wont be happy if this lasts for a few days.

so long term hits mean possible death to your animals.
    always safe to keep a battery operated bubbler, a ups for pumps or even a small generator to power up a heater or more if needed.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Don't waste your money buying their battery. I have an ecotech 40 on mine. I had an old a/c adaptor with a cord that fit perfectly in the ecotech battery backup slot. I simply spiced in to this with 2 cable clamps from canadian tire. Black for negative (larger outer ring of the plug in), and red for the positive( center of the plug in). I clamp this on to a deep cycle battery, or any car battery and you'll get FAR more power at half the price of the ecotech battery they sell. You can leave it there when the power is on, and it sends a small trickle charge to keep the battery topped up.

Get a battery operated air pump combined with a battery for your ecotech powerhead. Wrap a big blanket nicely around your tank when the power is out, and you'll be good for quite a while without destroying your bank account.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Thanks for the comments. No worries as for light as all of my corals are NPS. I'm sure my temps can drop a bit before it has any effects. I'm more worried about the motion in the tank. Thanks for the idea for the car battery, much cheaper indeed.

Thanks again.
    20 Gallon Sump
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS

I have accidently left flow off in my tank for over 24 hours... nothing bad happened. I would not reccomend it, but I would be more concerned about heat and just have a battery powered airstone handy.

Not too worried about Temp drops as I do not see that my heater really comes on. It is set to the lowest 70. My corals and fish can handle the lower temp, as I normally run it at 72 and it maxs out at 74-I keep a close eye on that. I would like to see what the tamp would get to without a heater. I will do that to see the lowest it will get.
    20 Gallon Sump
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS