Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bubbles Everywhere !

Lately I have been noticing a huge number of bubbles on the back of the tank and on some of the rock.. what causes microbubbles and is this something i should worry about ? There was a significant amount of algae as i have been gone for 2 weeks and i cleaned the tank and did a water change this morning... could this somehow be related ?
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

most likely coming from one of your filters (skimmer) or sump return. its not good as it can iritate some of your reef life (fish, inverts). if you cant figure out where its coming from, try unplugging one thing a day until you figure out which one is to blame.
    Albert
    My Photos

It's funny.. I dont see any bubbles coming from anywhere, they just seem to appear on the glass and rock... I have been having problems with a RIO pump so it may be the cause.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Do you find that they appear late in the day and then seem to be gone in the morning and then redevelope as the day goes on? If so I would think that it is just the algea photosynthesizing (how DO you spell that?), as the day goes on, the algea is producing oxygen and sometimes it accumulates as small bubbles. A little more flow in the tank might take care of it by dislodging them... it's not pretty but it's also not really dangerous.
    Also, maybe just excess oxygen from the newly mixed water..?
    Real micro bubbles- which can be an irritant to corals and fish usually have to be produced by something with a very serious velocity.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Reefmutt has the right idea. These bubbles that cling to rocks are most likely the result the biological activities that are happening on the rocks surface and or inside the rock itself. The more porous the rock the more bubbles there will be on it's surface. It should not be a cause for concern unless you see your water quality changing as a result. Also keep in mind that as the rock absorbs water any gases trapped in it will be displaced. Rearranging things can allow trapped gas to escape at pretty much any time regardless of the length of time the rock has been in the tank. the lighter the rock when received the more gas there will be in it.
    Rob

would it make sense in such a case to blow the rock with a turkey baster to release any trapped gasses within it as you blast water into all the holes and crevices?
    Albert
    My Photos

I don't think that would be wise ALRHA. First off you could blow a lot of fine dusty dirt out of the rock all at once and upset the balance of the water. Second I don't think it would work anyway. It would be like trying to fill a new kitchen sponge with water to dislodge the air trapped in it. the rock is only going to give up the gases trapped in it as fast as its going to. Different density rocks will have this exchange happening over different time frames .. you can't really help it along much. However if this is gas that is in fact trapped under that slimy green algae that tends to coat everything in the tank if it is out of balance, then you would need to address that issue unto its self.
    Rob

Hello

Your algae bloom is the key here, If they the bubbles increases as the photo period goes on then it is oxygen given of by the algea. Most likely your tank water becomes saturated with oxygen through out the day and can hold no more, so the excess can't be absorbed by the watrer so it forms gas bubbles and escapes from the tank that way. Should stop as your algae problem clears up.

Stan

I "blow" my rocks off all the time. (couple times a month) with either a turkey baster or a powerhead. My water parameters never change....
    Lynn

Lynn,

Read your post a couple of times .... lol
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast