Thread: bubble algae

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar

bubble algae

anyone think that a black longspine urchin will eat bubble algae?

no, i don't think so.

how bad is it???

i had success by manually removing as much as possible and adding a couple emerald crabs, haven't seen a bubble in years.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

it's not too bad yet. i remove manually oftern but there are places where it is sooo tiny and cant be removed without scratching it off. its like a tiny mat. always worried that crabs will eat the corals

while crabs are opportunistic eaters, IME emerald crabs are far less aggressive than hermits. also, when they're kept full and happy, either by feeding them or having some algae for them to graze on they wont waste their energy and are very well behaved.

if the bubble algae is in a tight spot, the emerald crab is critter for the job. if your nervous, get the smallest one they have ( female, supposedly less aggressive .... ) and if she bothers any corals or snails,a trap can be set. once they're settled in they aren't too tough to catch. at first they'll only come out at night but we comfortable you'll see them out grazing on the rock and sand during the day.

either that or remove the rocks and dry out or clean them outside the tank ( to prevent spreading ).

good luck
    `

My Gallery

I had battled bubble algae for a while in my tank as well and dropped in several emeralds that didn't seem to do a think. I would manually remove the bubbles but it is very hard to do so without breaking them so I would never win the battle. It was then suggested that a tang (or any herbivore) that scrapes algae from rocks would help greatly. The idea being that the manual remove of the large bubbles leaves spores behind that you can't remove but the herbivores as they scrape the rocks for good algae they inadvertently will also eat the spores. Within a few weeks my tank was void of bubble algae (at least where I could see).
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

i agree that the emerald crabs are hit or miss. some have success while others just have crabs:b13:
    i have a yellow tang and well, i have bubble algae. i also have a tuxedo urchin and it does not cause havoc but it does not eat bubble algae.
    i have a black longspine in my sump -- he was banned from the display long ago because it moved things around. (my bad since i dont glue any frags down. ) i placed a small rock covered in bubble algae in the sump and it cleaned it right away...now i am thinking of getting out the cement and anchoring things down and putting it back into the display.
    i think the issue is it will only eat the bubble algae if nothing else is avail. in the sump i fed it seaweed and sometimes the odd algae pellet.

i am interested in another tang. any suggestions for eating the bubbles? reefsafe ofcourse.

Yellow tangs pick they don't scrape. Kole tangs and tomini's are part of the family of tNks that will actually scrape the algae off
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Yellow tangs pick they don't scrape. Kole tangs and tomini's are part of the family of tNks that will actually scrape the algae off
    thanks shipwreck

other fish that may eat valonia are the Red Sea Sailfin tang ( Zebrasoma desjardini ), Naso Tang (Naso lituratus) and one none tang that is actually the most likely to eat it is the Two Barred Rabbitfish (Siganus virgatus) but if not well feed he may also start nipping at corals.

would a fish be able to get to the algae??

the truth is, any of these ( including the crab ) are hit or miss, a fish ( or crab ) that is well feed may not be interested in foraging and one that isn't feed enough may decide to go after a coral rather than the algae. to them food is food.

good luck and let us know what route you take and how it works out.

also as an after thought, the urchins may actually be helping the algae spread by puncturing the bubbles.
    `

My Gallery

iv gone through lots of wars with bubbles. most frustrating kind i believe. it's so degrating with they pop in your tank, when you try and manualy remove them, you feel so defeted! and you can almost see them spreading.

to solve this problem i have always relyed on emerald crabs, iv had a reef ever since i started and never had any problems with them eating corals or picking. i currently have 3 in my tank now.