Thread: Phos-Zorb

Phos-Zorb

Hi guys,
    Need an opinion and some advice.
    Anyone ever hear of a product called Phos-Zorb?
    Suppose to be reef safe and claims it removes phosphates and silicas naturally.
    I was also wondering do snails eat that red slime algae??
    Havnt the money for a RO/DI unit yet (Christmas ugh)
    or does anyone have any other suggestions to remove the red,as well as some green hair algae beginning to appear on my LR
    :guns: :angel: :biggrinbo

How old is your system? I have not used phos-zorb But I've used phosguard by seachem. It does work.
    Since you're not using RO water its possible that you are adding nutrients from your water supply but not necessarily. Test your water supply.
    If the water test o.k then do weekly water changes and reduce the feeding . This will eventually allow you to have a nutrient poor system. Get some snails that will graze on the green algae. Most snail don't eat cyano (red slime algae). I think fighting conch do.
    You can even do 2 water changes a week which will accelerate the process.
    Get an RO soon that way its easier to eliminate the water source as the cause of the problem.
    Some sources for excessive algae growth are:
    overfeeding, high phosphates, large fish population, high bioload, DSB not working well, bad water source, Not enough nutrient export.
    Also a refugium will help

I'm not 100% sure , but I think Phos Zorb is just like all the other phosphate removers- it will work, but most leather corals do not respond well at all to it's addition to the tank. I've even seen leathers killed by the shock.
    NOTHING eats red slime algea...You need to reduce your nitrates and phosphates ( which you know already)
    Why not go with bottled water untill you can afford an r.o. It's usually $5 for 5 gallons of purified water from a super market or health food store.
    Get yourself an army of algea eating snails and hermits to control the hair algea- it's WELL worth controlling hair algea when it is short, otherwise the army won't go after the long flowing stuff and manual removal SUCKS!!
    Red slime is usually related to nitrates which can be well controlled by some sort of sand bed (plennum or d.s.b.) - if your tank is new, it may take a good 6 months for the bed to become fully active. Hang in there and don't use one of those red slime remover products.. they may work but if the nitrates aren't under control, you'll just be adding to your problems.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for the advice guys,
    I did wonder about using Culligan water from the grocery store but wasnt sure.
    Its a 65g system with 80lbs LR,2-3" medium grain CC substrate.Nitrates are 0..no phosphate kit ..livestock consists of 3 damsels a percula clown, (all small) grown arrow crab,2 peppermint shrimp,a coral banded shrimp,2 brittle stars and a serpent star.Corals...just starting out..a single mushroom.
    been up and running since mid june.
    I did place the Phos-Zorb in (cheap fix) for now.
    Space and money would be nice for an RO unit and a sump..wishful thinking for now

Fishy_business,

I use Culligan for my water supply, Rent there unit.. no downpayment and $25 a month.. i as well could not afford hundreds righ at first.. so i rented for now..

as for the RedSlime.. there is a product called " RedSlimer Remover" works very well and reef safe i and many others have used it.. just turn on your skimmer for the 24 hours and then for the first day or two.. it might cause your skimmer to overflow.. but this is normal!

Toooloud,
    I disagree with you about using the Red Slime remover. Yes, it does work and even I used it once without a hitch. The problem in Fishy's situation is that he doesn't know what's causing the cyano in the 1st place. Using the slime remover can potentially make it come back with an even bigger vengeance. You HAVE to know what causes it and remedy that 1st before dosing any slime remover.

ReefMutt,
    Actually, there IS something that eats the cyano. Flame*Angel has/had what's called a Strawberry Conch that eats ALL her cyano.
    As to the phosphate removers, usually if you use one that does not contain any aluminum in it, then the leathers will be fine.

Good to know about the strawberry Conch...Do they all eat it as a rule or did Flame*angel just get a good one? And how readily available are they?

Aluminum is definetly the culprit...But, are there really phosphate removers that ACTUALLY work and that aren't made with aluminum...?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Originally posted by reefmutt
    Good to know about the strawberry Conch...Do they all eat it as a rule or did Flame*angel just get a good one? And how readily available are they?

Aluminum is definetly the culprit...But, are there really phosphate removers that ACTUALLY work and that aren't made with aluminum...?
    About the Conch, I guess the usual rule applies. Some of the animals haven't read the books to know what they're supposed to or not supposed to do. Up till now, I have only heard of her having one of these so it's hard to say.

About the aluminum...., you trying to say something??? I wouldn't know, but it's what I've read and heard many times over.