copper band butterfly & yellow tang?!

hello,
    this may be a stupid question but.
    i know your not really suppose to mix a yellow tang with another like shaped tangs, but what about a copper band butterfly? they are both the same shape. or does this rule only apply to tangs.
    thanks

Todd
    65 Gallon, reef 50lbs LR, LED Lights 120W (i think), current 1 chromis, 2 Black clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 cobberband butterfly, lots of snails 1 emerald crabs, 10 hermits,1 cleaner shrimp.

liv
    you are correct to assume the tang may react to the presence of a similar shaped and colored individual. the tang may get pi**ed off but such is life. the copperband ( if of same size ) can defend himself much more then the yellow tang since is has dorsal spines. They wont like each other for a while.. possibly a week but should become friends shortly after. ( from experience anyway )
    make sure both have plenty of space to hide and you should be just fine.

The trick with copperbands is to get them fairly young, they seem to do better as they adapt easier to feeding and the stress of tankhood.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    I have never had any issues with a yellow tang and copperband in the same tank... I would go with the copperband first and get him settled and eating before adding the tang.

IJO

awsome thanks for the reply.
    now i already have the yellow tang in my tank, this is why i'm a bit concerned, i think by this friday i'm going to be adding a copper band, if i can find one.
    now should i be looking for one similar to the size of my tang? would i be taking a big risk if it's much smaller than the tang?
    i want to add the copper band befor the yellow tang really has a chance to claime his terretory
    thanks
    Todd
    65 Gallon, reef 50lbs LR, LED Lights 120W (i think), current 1 chromis, 2 Black clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 cobberband butterfly, lots of snails 1 emerald crabs, 10 hermits,1 cleaner shrimp.

liv
    like i wrote above.. same size better.

you could always remove the tang and put the cb in... then a few days after put the yellow back in...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

You can also try rearraging the rock to make the yellow tang a little less territorial and add the copper band an hour after the lights go out so he has the night to get settled in.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

so a quick little update about how this prosses went.
    i had the yellow tang first, than a week later i added the butterfly. i got pretty lucky cuz i got one that was just as big maybe a little bigger. they are both adapting fine, the tang finally decided to eat some frozen food today, and is grazing on yummy algae growing on my rocks.
    as for the butterfly is doing exceptional! addapting quite well a bit stressed with the tang, but still picking all over the rocks. i have yet to see him eat any frozen food yet but hes still new.

thanks for all the suggestions, everything has been going smooth so far

Todd