Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blue linkia starfish

Anyone keeping a blue linkia starfish? I bought one just before Christmas from a local place. I have to admit it was an impulse buy but I had done some reading on them in the past and I knew the dealer it came from (before the LFS) was very reputable. The starfish looked to be in perfect health when I bought it, very plump, excellent colour, smooth unblemished skin. I had the guy at the store turn it over to check the underside, no parasites, everything looked great.

When I got the starfish home and started to acclimate it (they need a slow acclimation) I discovered the water in the bag was about 1.032, darned salty. I spent a little over 8 hours slowly, slowly getting it down to 1.026 (same as my tank) before putting her in. I called the store, it was an honest mistake. The guy said he acclimated her an hour and a half before putting her in their tank.

That first day she moved the length of the tank on the front glass and then crawled into a very small cave where she remained until just yesterday. So now she's very active. Yesterday she was all over the tall rock structure on the right side of my tank. This morning I see her on the back glass. It's uncanny that I can look at her as long as I like without seeing her actually move but if I leave the room for 10 minutes and come back she's in a different spot.

Just wondering if anyone else has had success with these. I know they are delicate but I'm hoping that my tank is mature enough to provide a good home.

As soon as I can get some time off work to fix my darned camera settings to work with my new lights I'll post some pictures.
    Susan

Cool flame

I have a burgundy LINKEA and TOUTOUCHE has the blue LINKEA. I find them easy to keep but make sure they cannot get into your overflow chamber as they can wrap around your strainer and cause a flood![been there]. I put eggcrate barrier right around the inside of the overflow box[like a prison]. They are fast when your not looking and very smart! I put him 3x on the oppisite side of the tank but he would know exactly were to go for the overflow!

Heh, thanks Johnny. I agree they are smart. Mine seems to feel that she would be compromising herself somehow to allow me to see her move. I can't get over this. All morning I've been checking on her and no matter how soon after the last time she's in a different spot but won't budge while I'm watching - even if I just peek around a corner.

I've read that little is known about their food source but it is in the normal slime that occurs on surfaces in a mature tank. I bet your overflow has lots of it.

Mine seems to be on an exploration mission here this morning. She is now on the opposite end of where she started and seems to alternate between the rocks, overflow chambers and glass. I don't have an overflow box, the tank is drilled and I have those curved overflow chambers. The tops are loosely covered to keep fish out (especially midas blennys!) but I guess if she really wanted to get in there she could, I'll keep an eye out for that. The only other harzard is the small powerhead that feeds my refugium. It's just a maxijet 900 though with a screen cap thingie over the intake.
    Susan

SUSAN

I've had no probs with the MAXIS at all.just watch the overflow drain as they like to cover or get inside weird places.

My blue linkia seems to stay on the glass directly across from a maxi 1200. There is a ton of flow there and the linkia seems to have made this his home. Is this normal? I've only had it for about two weeks. Again I bought it from ORG (Oakville Reef Gallery) and they have excellent quality livestock.

I don't believe it. Mine did pretty much a full circle of the tank and seems to have settled now on the overflow cover on the right end of the tank. She's right up near the surface and has one arm covering a couple slots and one on the glass turning the corner. Oh well, I guess it's better than in the cave
    Susan

Susan,
    I've had mine for a very long time and yes, I think they are ALL on to us!!! I too can stare at it for 1/2 hour and it won't budge, but turn my back for 10 minutes, and the thing can be running out the front door of my house!!!!! It is ALWAYS moving about. I've had other stars in the past, but this one seems to be the most active of them all. Mine has no specific spot it likes the most. It will cover the rocks & glass equally. As with most stars, it tends to also like to feed on the stuff growing on the glass at the waterline. An interesting thing it can also do is float half it's body upside down by holding onto the water tension ( much like those skater bugs can do staying on top of the water surface) while holding onto the glass with only one or two arms. I think your tank is about as mature as anybodies tank can be and it should be fine for it to be haopy in. Usually if you can pass the 1 year mark and it still looks just as good as day 1, then you can consider yourself successful according to Ophoroid. However, all stars can be dying for a very long time before showing any signs. Good luck with it..., what's it's name. I think this is the 1st time you haven't mentioned a name for a new pet??!!!!

I know, I haven't named her yet! I was almost afraid to get attached after finding out how high the salinity was in the tank she came from. She's been very active the last couple days though and today I decided she's a girl :-) I'm mulling over names now.

I think you'd better get a leash on that acrobatic one you have. :-)

I read all of Orphoroid's posts on linkias. I thought I had the perfect healthy speciman when I bought her. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if she's going to be able to get over the acclimation problems. She still looks great, nice and plump. I'd say she's over 5" across, tip to tip.
    Susan

Another thing I forgot to mention is that they tend to have a "sensitive survival rate" because of poor shipping. If you get one that is healthy and your tank is mature, they are supposed to be very easy to keep. Mine even made it through a heatwave problem that wiped out a lot of the other inhabitants a little while ago and did so without even skipping a beat!!

I've had a blue linkia coming on a year now. However, I only see it about once a month. It NEVER comes out in the open. I get a glimpse, every now and then, of it in the rocks. It seems to be quite tough, though, as it survived a disasterous move in June. Mine is not completely blue, it hase some dark splotches on it, as well..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast