Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are 8 damsels a good idea?

I'm thinking I would like to add about 6-10 Yellow Tail Damsels (or something similar) to my tank. It's a 55gal tank with a 33gal sump. I have two Saddlebacks, a Bicolor Anthias, and a Royal Dottyback. I'm thinking that I would add a Tang after and that would be it for fish in my setup.

Are the Damsels a good idea?

Thanks!
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

Cool damsels

unless you want to see the mother of all battles I wouldn't. 1 maybe might be okay but once damsels get settled they can and will drive even big fish nuts! I would also forgo a tang[any tang] in a 55g. They will most definatly outgrow it quick and if you have all those damsels and a tang you will lose fish for sure. I love the looks of some damsels but it pretty much has to be a damsel dedicated tank. You will never be able to add another fish to that tank. Some get lucky but the odds won't be in your favor.

Sounds like a battle royale to me. Therre would be more fighting in there than you could imagine. especially with the two saddlebacks in with them. Maybe a good Pay per View event.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I'll give 5-1 odds on the tang.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

What about Chromis ? Woudl they be ok?
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

CHROMIS

You could add a few of those but after that your pretty well stocked up.

ya, I didn't plan on adding anything after I added the damsels (wouldn't be adding damsels now though). I add chromis, I may just go with that and what I have in the tank now.
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

The Blue Chromis are a peacefull fish...and they school together which looks really nice in a tank.I have 2 and will add 2 more.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Actually, saddlebacks and dottybacks can be territorial buggers themselves, so I wouldn't worry about adding yellow-tail, blue damsels. However, the bigger issue here IMHO is the total number of fish....13 in a 55 gallon. That is about 2X more than I would consider.

I'd decide now whether you want very peacful community fish, or semi-agressive fish.

If you want peaceful, swap the saddlebacks for a pair of oscellaris, the Royal Dottyack for a Royal Gramma, keep the Anthias and add 2-3 blue chromis.

If you want semi-aggressive, keep the saddlebacks, and the royal dottyback, get rid of the anthias, and add your damsels (no more than 4).

I wouldn't put a tang in either way. I think 55 gallons is too small for any tang.

BTW: don't be shy about doing a little reseach into the damsel family. There are lots of interesting types of damsels that IJO could probably order for you beynd the typcial blue ones that we normally see at the fish stores. Some species are much more aggressive than others as well. I myself keep a pair of Talbot's Damsels with a pair of Perc. Clowns, a Lawnmower Blennie and a Yellow Watchman Gobie in a 55 gallon reef. No problems at all. In fact, the Damsels are my favorite fish.

I like the chromis and have 7 in my tank. I cycled it with 9 and lost 2. they school together and have not bothered any of my other fish or shrimps. I like them. Mind you my Flame Hawk seems to think that if he can catch one of them he could perhaps eat it LOl LOL LOL. Lucky for them he has no hope of getting one.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast