Baking soda for ALK

Anyone ever use baking soda for adjusting their ALK....I'm going to start as it's cheap and worked for several down this way. Just wondering about the different ways and doses to add it at. Any ideas????

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I've also been looking for a Kalkwasser substitute, heard that it was easy to making using baking soda and a few other ingredients....
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here is a quote from Tooloud in another post regarding the use of Baking Soda. I'm sure this will help.

As for using Baking Soda... I have been reading about it for years.. lol.. The mixture you need to use is ..

5 Parts Arm and Hammer Baking soda
    1 parts Arm and Hammer Washing Soda ( this i can't find in canada ) And they say only the Arm and Hammer brand.. THe washing soda is used to prevent the PH Spike that Baking soda would give you..

WHen you have your 5-1 ratio then you add one teaspoon of that to each 25G's of water to raise the ALK 1dkh.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    You can DIY your own WASHING soda by "baking" the Baking Soda at 350 in the oven.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hello

The washing soda is the carbonate to the baking soda's bi-carbonate. It works just fine. The best way I have found to use it is in the drip method. If it is added to the tank to fast it will cause Ph flucuations and also it can burn sensitive inverts as well as fish, so make sure it is fully disolved in RO or DI water
    Also I live just east of Toronto and I can buy arm & hammer washing soda in my local Save -a-Centre. You can also make washing soda from baking soda by baking it at 125 degrees for one hour.

Stan

FYI: DO NOT USE CANADIAN "ARM AND HAMMER" WASHING SODA!!! it contains perfumes and something else that helps detergents to make bubbles. I think the word is sufficants but I can't remember. For whatever reasons the US version does not contain these additives.
    here's some good reading:
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

I've been using baking soda and "baked" baking soda for years now and it works great, just keep an eye on your salinity because it will rise since they are both a sodium product.

kalwasser is lime you can buy food grade . calcium hydroxide

Works great, dont worry about the mixture, just use about 1/2 tsp per 25 gallons. Slow wins the race in the reef game.

JMHO

Wendell