Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigtime Upset

Bigtime Upset

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I have ICH in the new tank!! My new bowfront!!I musta stood there for a hour with my mouth agape!It had to have come in on some liverock as the only fish in there are from here. (lionfish,french angel, majestic angel, bird wrasse and purple tang) Of course I noticed it on the purple first, but it's just a matter of time before they are all infected.I sacrificed a $34.oo cleaner shrimp..unreal hope! he didn't last the night. I know there are really only two options. Eradicate the ich (this is the hard thing to do) or let it run its course and hope for the best. (usually about 50% mortality..in my books)I knew that I couldn't just sit by and watch them slowly die off (I know that might not happen...but it very well could too) so I opted to do hypo. First I set up another 30 gallon tank and put the few corals (mushrooms, xenia, sponges etc) from this tank in along with some of the rock. Then I removed all the rock ( I now have 160 pounds) into a huge plastic bin and added a aquaclear filter and powerhead and light. I also had to remove all my snails, crabs, starfish, aragonite and algae/mangroves etc from my sump.
    I'll get the salinity lowered by tonight and it will stay that way for at least 30 days.
    Can't ever say these tanks are boring Always fun and challenging
    Lynn

LYNN

That sucks!!! I am of a different belief though. I feel the stress of moving fish,rocks and all that hypo stuff causes more damage than good. Anything different in a tank cause major stress to fish therefore lowering there immune system even more. To me just feeding good food,garlic and keeping your water quality up there is your best defence. Personally I'd ride it out. Even if Ich road in on rock there is something else stressing your fish because I believe ich is always present in tanks no matter what. For example, say you have a tank running for 1 years and add nothing new,let the water get crappy and your fish will most certainly come down with ich. Hope all works out okay. I find any tank less than over 1 year old will more likely have issues sonner or later.

I can't. I road it out once before and lost half the fish. (the ones that didn't go to the cleaner shrimp) Sometimes it works out okay and the fish fight it off. I don't see even a dot on the angels or lion...but it doesn't mean that they won't eventually....or maybe they wont, but I just couldn't take the chance of losing them. They are beautiful healthy fat fish (look at my pics) and I'm really attached to them...I'd totally freak if I lost them knowing that I could have saved them had I acted in time. If I could keep cleaner shrimp in there I would feel a whole lot better.
    Sorry but I don't agree with you on the theory that ich is always present...it is a live parasite that needs a host to live, when the host is removed they it die off. If I erradicate it know and don't add any more liverock or fish (unless of course quarantined stuff) then I feel confident that it can't reoccur.
    My water parameters are perfect and they eat better then me...and much more often! I can't improve upon that so I made this decision, hope it's the right one.
    Lynn

What about trying a Cleaner Wrasse. I know that a noen or sharknose gobie is know to eat parasites but they are sooo small thay might be a quick lunch.

Good luck
    Andrew

cleaner wrasses are not a good idea for a reef tank. Their diet is so specific that once the parasite is gone, the fish will die. It's best to not purchase these fish, since it just encourages their collection.

Ich is not always present. The cryptocarion irritans parasite requires a fish host in order to reproduce (there are tons of scientific references for this, if anyone is interested). Moving all fish out of the tank and treating the fish with hyposalinity is probably your best bet. If you leave your main display without fish for 4-6 weeks, the parasite WILL die.

I've seen small tanks crammed to the gills with large fish, living Ich free. The fish are obviously stressed (constant fighting and agression) but show no signs of the parasite. If it's not there, it's not there.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Hello

The ick parisite is not always present. It is true that it can have little effect on some health fish, and go unseen for a long period of time. But it still may be effecting that fish to a small extent. And at some point down the road a fish becomes stressed for what ever reason and then you put the odds in favour of the parisite and the infestation becomes worse. But if you allow your system to go without fish for a period of 30 to 45 days the parisite will die and your system is free of the parisite as long as anything you add from that point is clean you will be fine.

Stan

This is an excellent discussion of Marine Ich:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html
    Nick

I totally agree with MalHavoc. Ich is NOT always in your tank.
    If it's not there to begin with, your fish will never get ich no matter how stress they are. I stressed out all my fish including a yellow tang when i moved and they never got ich since it wasn't in my tank in the beginning ( i quaranteened all my fish prior introduce to my main tank).

Hypo is the best bet to treat ich but i hear that you have to keep an eye on the alk and PH since they will drop with lower salinity ( use buffer with hypo ).

clown_fish
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

ICH

Upon reading NICKB's link and your responces I have to agree with the majority's responce. Ick will not always present in an Aquarium. Hyposalinity does seem a very good opption but man what a pain! Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks. Hope everything works out Lynn. You only added live rock in the past 2 months?

liv
    so you going to bring the salinity down to what ? ~1.009

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast