Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phosphate & Corals?

In the last 4 days my bubble coral has been extremely retracted. I've had this healthy coral for over 1 year now and it has always done very very well. No new additions near the coral and the only other thing I've added was a wack of base rock to the sump and a new kickass skimmer. My water parms are very stable so I won't post. 2 things that I'M suspect on is that I left for 1 week and my topoff stopped dripping so maybe I lost 10g of freshtopoff so My salinity might have jumped a bit. Also, I've read a bit know were phosphate should be tested for? I run RO/DI. the coral itself is in a prime spot. What do you think might be affecting this coral?
    OLDAGE?[I wouldn't think}
    SALINITY RISE.[my thinking]
    ADDITION OF NEW BASEROCK.
    PHOSPHATE?
    All other corals have not been affected at all.
    CAL,490. ALK good, ph 8.2, SAL..024 TRITES&TRATES.0

Hello

I have never know plerogyra to be that sensitive to a salinity change that would take effect over the course of a week. What I'm wondering is how fast you added top up water back into the tank when you got home, a quick reduction in salinity may play a part. You said you added a kick-ass skimmer did it change the flow of the tank in any way a moderate current is better for vesicle expantion. Have the vesicles been damaged buy anything (eg fish, shrimp and so forth). How kick-ass a skimmer is it? Are you over skimming? As for phosphate it's main effect is that it prevents proper calcification by preventing calcuim carbonate crystal formation from occuring and this dosen't sound like your problem. What is close to this coral anything that has long sweeper tenticales? Any softes competing for space, can the bubble be the victim of chemical warfare. Just a few thoughts.

Stan

Aquanut40

Thanks for the responce. The salinity change in both directions was not to drastic. maybe 10g not added for a few days and then 10g added back in a few days via faster drip in topoof. Skimmer is in/out of sump so flow hasn't changed in tank. nothing sweeping as the Bubble has lots of free space but the hammer is getting a tad close. Warfair, a possibility but I have only one fairly small leather and a few zoanthids close by[would the Zoos, bother a bubble?] Over skimming? no I don't think so as I feed fairly heavy and have a large bioload but tons of live rock. Phos, yeh I didn't think that was it either.
    The only 2 things I can think of is that I added around 30lbs baserock with a few pounds live,or, the salinity drop. But nothing else has any probs right now? go figure? I'm going to really check the hammer out for large sweepers at night. This bubble was once a tuff bugger as it had a fight with my anenome last summer and they were both partially melted but came back big as ever.

Hello

I would keep a eye on the hammer for sweepers like you said. I would also add some fresh carbon just in case there is a little warfare going on. As for the bubble if there is no sign of recession or brown jelly I wouldn't worry to much. Just observe the system for anything else that might be out of the ordinary and sit tight.

Stan

Johnny, you did add thirty pounds of base rock to your sump. Do you know what kind it is (i.e. Aragonite, Tufa?) Fresh base rock will raise your PH. I know you said your water parameters were good, but recheck that one. You also lost 10 gallons of top up water out of a 90 gallon tank. Tha't a possibility like you mentioned.

I have a couple of large leathers that go through a cycle where they a gorgeous for long periods of time, then close up for a week or so before reopening and looking great again. Can your bubble be starting to go through that?

Unhappy Percky

Ya might be just right as I did add a fair amount and it was ARAGONITE or CARIBSEA stuff? I tested last night and the phwas a tad high but this was after A few days of retopping off to get my salinity back to norm so maybe the ph was higher even. I'm making water as we speak for a weekend water change so I'm hoping and praying because if I lose this coral I'll be very pissed. I should have known better to add all at once. Funny how no other corals seem affected but in this hobbie anything freaking goes eh!

Stan, you ARE the man! I think you covered it all. Percula99 also makes a good point. The only small thing I could add is that possibly all that new base rock and the dust from it may have added a whole new soup of elements to your water which may take a little getting used to by the bubble. I've also found that LPS in general like a little less clean water than a lot of reefers have these days, although , you do say that you feed well...
    I think it'll bounce back!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

SOME INFO UPDATE

Well, it seems that the Bubble just might be spawning. It has been releasing white smoke[possible sperm] and little white dots all exactly the same size[possibly eggs] I posted to ERIC at RC and he commented that it might also be possible. I'll keep ya posted. I do have a fair amount of water in my system and would be a tad suprised if my system would change much after adding 30lbs baserock. I've been double checking and ph+alk are stable as a rock[no pun intended].
    I have the 90g+55g sump+25g refugium+ 6 foort skimmer full of water[bubbles] now I take into consideration all the water displacement with my couple hundred pounds of live rock[never really weighed it] but My system is really stable.

Johnny, I'd LOVE to see some pics!!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

ijo
    reefmutt... unfortunately AC does not allow x-rated material on the board... if you would like to upgrade your membership... you would get access to the nekid corals and fish pics.

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast