Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Alk Low PH

High Alk Low PH

Hi All,

My tank has always experienced an Alk of ~6dKH and a PH of about 7.7 Over the week I have been adding SeaBuffer Alk and PH Booster as well as dripping Kalk nightly.

My alk has now boosted well above normal levels (higher than the salifert test kit can test) however the PH has barely even risen, definetly bellow 8.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the PH will not increase and what should I do next ? I have also been doing weekly water changes for last 3 weeks.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

How are you measuring pH? Any chance the measurement might be faulty (old kit, meter out of calibration)? Might be worth getting an independent confirmation of the ph reading.
    Nick

Not enough fresh air can lower pH without affecting alk as well. This is common in the winter when we have all our windows shut.
    Susan

I'm using a salifert ph test kit, cant find a best before date on it... I do live in an appartment and there aren't many windows but i'm surprised that the PH booster only brough up alk and not ph.

If my alk is too high with this have a very adverse effect on the fish and corals ?
    ======================

I've had my alk off the charts of the Salifert kit without seeing any problems in the tank. I wouldn't recommend it long term though. I've tried a number of buffers to try and bring up just the pH but they all seem to affect the alk more than the pH.

What are you using for top off water? What's the pH of that?
    Susan

I haven't tested the top-off water PH.. after mixing IO salt the water is 7.7 PH consistently. This week i have been dripping enough kalk to not have to add any topoff to see if this would help, however no PH increase.
    ======================

I'm not using IO anymore but when I did I always added some extra buffer and calcium before using it. I don't know if this will solve your problem but it can't hurt. Something else that can help boost pH is a refugium with the lights on 24 hours a day.
    Susan

nbreau,
    If your dkh is that high, which sounds possible, based on the additives you are using, and the ph is still low, this a CLASSIC case of an ionic imballance. I'd be curious to know what your calcium and magnesium levels are. In my opinion your ONLY way to fix this problem is a massive water change- I mean like a 90% w.c. I know this sounds crazy, but it is, in my opinion, THE only way to re- ballance the buffering system in your tank. Your problem sounds exactly like what happened to TOUTOUCHE a while ago and I've seen it so many times before.
    After doing a monster w.c. and I do mean monster, you should see an immediate improvement in ph and alkalinity. Once that is corrected, with your coral stock, there is NO reason why daily additions of only k.w. shouldn't keep your alkalinity and ph perfectly fine.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

reefmutt - I defer to your experience, no question about it. I just wonder if it would be safe to do that big of a water change on a reef? I mean would it be a shock to the critters?
    Susan

I think that at this point, what they are currently in is pretty shocking.
    It will be a shock but I've done it enough times to know that it won't hurt long term.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast