Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaner crew size

What # of crabs, snail etc.. would be suitable for a 90g.
    I look at all your established tanks, and it is difficult to see any sign of algae (- coralline) i too would like to get the algae kept under control.:huh??:

liv
    I was told 1 per gallon.

i got 14 crabs and 10 snails in my 130g and its not nearly enough.. ie: they can't keep up with the algea.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

1 per gallon ? WOW .. I hope their cheap by the gross :-)
    Rob

In a 90 of mine, I have 60 turbos, 20 margarita snails, 20 nassarius snails, 20 bumblebee snails, 2 emerald crabs, 2 brittle stars, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp...I keep no hermits as I was losing snails to them regularily.

I've had these numbers (give or take a couple) for over ayear and everything stays in check.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Heh, the magic numbers per gallon are definitely made up by the people selling the critters. I think it should be geared towards your individual tank and how much you feed. I don't use hermit crabs at all, they eat snails and I don't trust them. I have:

- at least a hundred tiny cerith snails (diatoms)
    - about 30 or so nassarious snails (left over food, detritus, fish poo)
    - 5 margarita snails (film algae)
    - 3 astrea snails (I wouldn't get these again)
    - 2 tiger tail cucumbers (eats detritus but they don't move around the tank much)
    - 1 black knobby cucumber (also eats detritus but moves around more than tiger tail)
    - 1 strawberry conch (great for diatoms and cyano)
    - 1 queen conch (same as above but much more fun to watch)
    - 1 long spined diadema urchin (awesome hair algae eater and also prevents bryopsis)
    - 3 tiger trochus (general algae eaters but more for rocks than sand)

This seems to work well for me in my 120g and few people feed their tank more than I do.
    Susan

Susan
    Why would you not get astrea snails again?

Andrew

liv
    My crabs seem to be eating anything they can get there claws in... They ate both by little stars, and a worm and so far, two came into a fight.. i lost one. but they do clean up alot.
    my astreas dont do much...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I don't think the astreas do anything that isn't already being done by the ceriths. Ceriths do sand and rocks, astreas are useless in the sand. Astreas are big and ugly and if they fall over they stay that way until they die unless you notice them and flip them back up. Ceriths are tiny, stay under the sand most of the day and come out at night to do their job. Ceriths sometimes breed in your tank so you don't have to keep replacing them too.

Oh - I forgot my hugenormous tiger trochus that Gail gave me! This thing is about 4" across and quite acrobatic. He can get onto the SeaSwirls to clean them. I have no idea how he spans from the overflow to the SeaSwirl nozzels but when he gets on one he'll stay there all day riding it. He also seems to like to clean the grounding probe suction cup. Unfortunately it comes detached when he does and I see him swinging like Tarzan from it. That's the only time he requires rescuing though :-)

I've noticed that dealers promote critters that are easy to get and that they can the most make money on. Saying you need one hermit crab for every gallon for example. Yikes! After the initial algae bloom that comes with pretty much every new tank more than half of those would starve to death and die. The other half would eat whatever they could to stay alive.
    Susan

i am still trying to figure out how much i need. while this may not be the most economic way (or it actually may save you money from over-buying), you can just keep adding until you feel its enough. rather than going out and buying 10,000 snails, buy lets say 20 at a time till you feel that its enough.
    i have no clue how many i have, b/c i keep buying more, but i also find empty snail shells in my tank (i blame my hermits for this, if i ever find them, they are history). stay away from hermits, and stick to snails, shimps, stars, and crabs.
    Albert
    My Photos

snails

anyone remember the name of those slug looking snails with a shell on there back? Best cleaners around! they multiply like crazy in your tank and only come out at night TANG MAN remembers the name. I had 1, 4 months back and now I can't count them! They move fast. Why these are not sold is beyond me. Maybe because you only would have to buy 1 and thats it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast