Thread: Copperband

Copperband

the copperbands: which are the better ones, Australian or Indo-Pacific?
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Australian...

You run the chance of cyanide caught fish otherwise...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

is there a way of knowing which one is in a store?
    if i see him eat, can i rest assured he'll be fine?
    Albert
    My Photos

Definitely try for an Australian. Eating is sometimes a problem but not always. The biggest problem with cyanide caught fish is that they will often appear even more colourful than normal and will eat as well. Then 3 or 4 weeks later they die for no obvious reason. Your best bet is to go to a dealer you know you can trust and ask if he can get you an Australian.

I would also not recommend getting one too small. These fish have tiny mouths and the smaller the fish the smaller the mouths. It can be tricky getting them small enough food.

If you can get a healthy one they are reasonably hardy once settled in but they are butterfly fish and do require high quality water. They are beautiful, smart, personable and my absolute favourite fish. Could you tell?
    Susan

boy could i tell. susan, you are actually the one that got me to want one when you were talking about your copperband.
    i guess this would also explain the price difference in the copperband. some places have them listed at about $20 US while others sell them for $50 US and up. if they tell me its Australian and sell it for $20, then i guess i can assume they are not being truthful. correct?
    Albert
    My Photos

Just thought I'd throw my 2cents in. My copperband had to be removed from my reef tank as she picked on two of my brains to the extent that I lost them. She ate the aptasia and cleaned all the feather dusters out first...which was okay with me. Their all a little different and capable of causing trouble.
    Lynn

I have to agree that Australian ones are better, we get cyanide caught and not, the cyanide are almost always imported.... . The one that are cyanide caught Will usually die for no apparent reason after a few months.
    The feeding test is IMHO a bit dubious, sometimes fish aren't fed often and eat when you ask to see them being fed coz they're starving. Try and put the fish on hold for a few weeks and see how it fairs. It's not perfect but it affords some assurance.
    I don't truly believe that there is any guarantee that they aren't cyanide caught. I always ask if the fish have been medicated prior to selling and with what, and won't buy pre-med fish, almost guaranteed to die within 6 months. (Dependant on the med_Tetracycline being the death trap!!!).
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)