Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: flatworms!

Unhappy flatworms!

i just realized today that the brownish thing I've been seeing on the glass was flatworms! Anyways, I looked closer because I actually saw it move. So it is these brownish thing with a red dot at one end. so I scanned the rocks and sand and saw them everywhere! This is bad right??

All I have in the tank is 2 ocellaris, 1 cleaner shrimp, snails and hermits. Where did it come from?

So I've just spent the last hour reading all the threads.

any help and tips from those that already been through this?? I'm not equip to run carbon (I see you need this if I go with the flatworm exit stuff). Will a wrasse keep these in check? i think i already know the answer to my question...just looking for additional wisdom.
    thanks.
    thien

I have them as well... many people on RC say to go with the natural methods such as wrasses or whatever... many say if they knew the damage that the Flatworm Exit would have caused to the copepod and micro-fauna populations ... they would of never have used it.

Don't worry I haven't made up my mind either...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ijo
    thien... I would use FW exit myself... there is not much in your setup if I can remmeber correctly and if done properly.. you could rid these flatties before they start to cause real damage.

Have you traded frags with other reefers... purchase any stock from retailers known to have these FW? I know you got some items from AC... but I can assure you we do not have FW.

One thing more people should do before adding corals to their system is to dip them in FW exit... this will reduce the risk of getting invaded by these monsters. Hope this helps

IJO

got to ask ... Other then being UGLY to look at in the tank do these little bugger do any damage?
    Rob

does the six-line wrasse, eat the beneficial critters too? or just the bad ones? how does it know which ones we dont like?
    Albert
    My Photos

Like Toutouche always says ..... : ...You have to make sure the fish read the book!
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Thien: You are actually lucky to get them now, before you get your tank really stocked, because they will be easy to get rid of. I've sent you a PM, and time permitting over the next few days, I'll stop by and take a look.

Reefvan,
    Funny you should say that the FW exit did damage to the small buggies. As you know, I've never had the plague in my tank but I use the FW exit as a coral dip and I've had bugs on the frags I dipped and thy have always seen to have survived during the dip and I usually add a lot more drops than needed making it a rather strong solution. Thien,
    Yes the flatties can cause real damage if left to grow out of control. Basically, they end up smothering many corals to the point of killing them by literally suffocating them or simply blocking out all light or nutrients that the corals so much need. They also apparantly release a bad toxin into the water when they die so huge amounts dying off will do dmagae. This is why it is stressed a lot that you must syphon out as many as possible before dosing the treatment. I think this is what has done the damage for people Van was reffering to. The fact that you don't have much in the tank yet makes it a prime candidate to do it now!!

copepods...are they the whitish/clearish 1-2mm crawlies on the live rocks and glass?? The FW Exit will wipe those out too? Once the flatties are gone, will i have to re-seed my rocks? .Edit: I posted after Toutouche. I see you said Exit doesn't kill other critters

I think I read in Harley's flatworm thread that sometimes flatties can survive the treatment. Anyone has experienced that?

zookeeper...i sent you PM. thanks
    thanks.
    thien

Hello

If you are looking for a natural aproach to there eradication. I beleave the the flatworm you are talking about is Convolutriloba retrogemma which can be controled by seaslugs of the genus Chelidonura. Also increased water movement will limit the places where they can servive.

Stan

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast