Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is good to get rid of cyanobacteria

what medication/additives is good to get rid of cyanobacteria..its the red slime algae

liv
    have a look in the critter section, i believe some of those like that stuff.. if not, I think you can order some that will clean it all. also do a search on previous posts, I remember some people having the same issue

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

well, before you try redslime remover or any other chemicals we should try to see whats causing it. There are a few factors that could be addressed.HOW OLD IS YOUR TANK? new tanks 6 months or less usually go thru different stages and CYNO being one of them. most times it will burn itself out.
    WHAT KIND OF FLOW. low flow will tend to lend itself to CYNO and HAIR ALGEA. incresing this will normally also help.
    OVER FEEDING? some people overfeed or feed heavy and if your not setup for this then probs occur. skimming and a refugium usually really help.
    ROCK WORK. the wall of rock setup lends itself to this problem as it restricts good flow.
    LIGHTING. old lights that have lost or changed spectrum will sometimes cause blooms.
    this is some info that might help out and others will chime in.

Johnny makes some good points here.

I've found that conchs do a good job of eating cyano off the sand but they won't be able to deal with ton of it.
    Susan

Is it a good idea to remove the rocks first and then brush the cyno off instead of trying to remove the cyno while the rock is in the tank? I assume that the cyno would only spread faster if the rock is left in the tank...
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

well????

yes and no. If you have corals on the rock and stuff like that thens it a real pain as CYNO can/will bloom over night like fast!
    also, when your removing rocks you tend to stir up the sand bed adding even more crap[for lack of a better word] to the water increasing fule supply for CYNO.You could syphon off large patches but try not to let it flow around. Ya didn't give us any info on those tank ?? could help us a bit better. Thanks.

80 gallon, 80 lbs of LR, 150 lbs LS, I have a 802 and a maxijet 1200 but getting another powerhead because I m think I have low flow...2x175w with 40w actinics.. and I also think that it could be my wall of rocks that could me causing this too..also the tank is about 2-3 months old so that could also me a problem...I have 2 fighting conch and it does stir up the sand but it stays away from the cyano..1 blue tank, 2 damsel, 3 anemone, some sps , LPs and a colt and kenya tree and xenia...2 cucmber and a tuxedo urchin....

Oh yeah ..I keep my actinics on for 14 hours a day and mh for 12 hours

FLOW+AGE+ ROCK STRUCTURE. yeh those 3 things won't help. How bad is the cyno? get another MAXI1200 for sure! I have a MAG12 + 3X MAXIS1200

well first it was on the sand then on the rocks...after that I moved the rocks a bit and it started to not grow on the rocks but now its back ....its getting worst..now not only is it on both the rocks and the sand but its causing a lot of bubbles (well I think its coming from the cyano because within the red slime theres many air bubbles) in my tank...at the cyano looked black so I just thought that it was something else like hair algae but now i m beginning to see that its a bit red...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast