Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't get my Ca above 420...

I use B-Ionic and I dose once a day. I have maintained 420 now for about two weeks and it won't go any higher.

Any suggestions?
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

Can I ask what you are using to test you Ca.
    The reason I ask is that I know of someone who was dosing with kents liquid Ca and with I think it was a hagen(no laughing) test kit it was reading 420, but then he tested with a seachem and it was reading 380. That one big difference. Just something to think about.

What are your other parameters?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Cool Leafster

why do you want it higher? thats pretty good. what do you have in your tank? they could/are be using the cal, that your adding. also, there seems to be talk about a direct link to mag, and cal,. Not enough mag, and your cal, levels won't rise. How this works I do not know. 420 is damned good actually! I ride at 490. I have been using Turbo [KENTS] but I should be using
    something like SEACHEMS, reefbuilder as apparently over time TURBO will cause an imbalance as its a different form of cal, Its good to get your numbers up there but for long term not advised[true?] I used a whole jug with no probs but I'll try the SEACHEM. Do you drip KALK? when you numbers are up there this helps keep them there.

I do use the Hagen Test kits. About three weeks ago, I was at about 380, but I determined that I wasn't adding enough B-Ionic so I started added the B-Ionic daily. The kit says 420 and that has been where I'm at for the last two weeks.

I don't use Kalk, but I guess that is where I was headed with my question. I'm not sure I can get the Ca up any higher using B-Ionic and thought I may need kalk.

I was thinking that 420 was low. I do have some SPS and a clam. I want to add some more SPS and another clam. Is 420 a good level to be at when keeping SPS?

As far as my other parms., my pH is 8.3 and I don't a have a alkalinity test kit yet. I guess I should get that soon.

Thanks!
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

Hello

Like Johnny said why do you want to go higher? If you can maintain it at 420 thats just about bang on.

Stan

In actuality, normal sea water tests at 390. For aquarium uses, people do go higher, up to 450. Above that, I would start thinking about lowering it a bit. 420-450 seems to be the accepted norm. If you're running at 420, you're bang on.

I've always kept mine around 460. I really don't think it's necessary though, 420 doesn't sound low to me.

Any time I've had trouble raising calcium I've found that dosing magnesium has made a big difference. You need to buy a test kit and the additive though, no way to know how much to dose otherwise. I never add magnesium unless there's a problem with calcium.
    Susan

Well, I guess I don't have a problem then. I was under the impression that 450 was where I wanted to be. I'll continue with the B-Ionic dosing as I've been doing.

As usually, thanks guys and gals!
    Leafster

What an easy decision...

Definitely get yourself an alkalinity test kit. IMO it's far more useful to track alk than Ca. A very high Ca value is basically not useful if you have low alkalinity. The way I like to explain it, one way to think of alk is a measure of the ability of things to be able to draw calcium out of the water. So if your alk is low, you would actually expect your Ca to rise (because nothing is using it up). The relationship is really more complicated than that but I'll leave the explanations of the chemistry to folks like Randy Holmes-Farley (you can read more at the online mags reefkeeping.com or advancedaquarist.com if you're interested in going further).

Once you start maintaining a high alkalinity, you'll notice it's much more challenging to maintain Ca values like 420-450.

Of course if you're doing two-part additives it's important to track both Ca and alk since you need to maintain a balance. If you ever go to a calcium reactor (probably one of the best investments you can make in the reefing hobby after lighting, IMO) you can probably start to ease off on the testing of both, because the reactors tend to add to both parameters equally. So I have to admit I'm a little more lazy these days but basically I only really track my alk on my tanks (and measure Ca only if I'm particularly bored or something ) but basically I can tell how the reactor is dialed in just by measuring alk (which I try to keep around 4.0 meq/l).

So if you're thinking that it's hard to get the Ca above 420 it could be because you've got a decent alk value. This is a good thing. Of course you should probably pick up the test kit though and confirm that.

HTH...
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast