Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twinspot Goby

Twinspot Goby

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with twinspot gobies... I have had one in my tank for 2 days now and he's been chewing on the sand like a maniac (very cool to see)

My question is how do I know if he is getting enough food ? when i feed him should he be eating like the rest of the fish or should i assume he gets everything he needs with the gulps of sand he keeps taking ?

thanks,
    Nick.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Can you describe this fish? I'm wondering if it's the same one that I had. If so, I can tell you about them.

its also known as a Signal Goby.
    Here is a link to a picture of one.
    http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...=21&pCatId=216
    Albert
    My Photos

nbreau, let me know how you like him as i was thinking of getting one as well to be in charge of sand cleaning.
    Albert
    My Photos

He's not doing well at all

Ever since I got him he never seemed to move around much at all, and haven't seen him eat He was pretty skinny in the first place as well. Today I though he was doing better because he was digging up the sand like a maniac but tonight when I got home he is know just floating around the top of the tank (still alive though, I'm hoping he's just sleeping or something... but i dont think so) I added some mysis around him but he doesnt go for it.

After buying the fish I read they dont do well in captivity and should only be bought in pairs... We'll see how he is in the morning but I have a feeling he wont last that long.
    ======================

man, i dont know anymore ! he went from a curled up floating fetal position to llooking healthy and digging in the sand again ! what a wacky fish ! I'd like to talk to someone else who has experience with them.....
    ======================

very interesting.
    where did you read about keeping them in pairs?
    strange fish, but seems cool.
    is your tank covered? would they jump out?
    Albert
    My Photos

The back of the tank is not covered but i'm not concerned about him jumping... he is abotom dweller and platys in the sand all day but does seem to just float at the top at night.

I read about keeping them in pais in the book "conscientious marine aquarist" and in a few posts on RC.
    ======================

do they eat the critters? or just leftover junk?
    Albert
    My Photos

Ah..., o.k. not the same as the one I had. Mine was what lots of people either call a Yellow Headed sleeper Goby or a Yellow headed Jawfish. It's longer and the body is white with a yellow head and 1 metallic blue stripe along the cheek ( warpaint I guess to make him more intimidating..., heh, heh...).
    IMO, with any fish that sifts the sand, you're asking for serious trouble!!! Yes, they will probably eat the critters moving around in the sand, but not so much for this reason. The real troublesome reason is why I also just removed him when I did my tank makeover a few weeks ago. It was always sifting the sand ( and doing an excellant job of keeping it sparkling white I might add) and therefore there was ALWAYS dust floating artound in the watercolumn. This dust would settle on all the corals and rockwork. Now..., what grows where there is dirt? Yup!! ALGAE..., you got it!!! I started to get hair algae, the filmy whitish algae and an explosion of bubble algae absolutely everywhere!!!I never had nuisance algae problems till this. It really got ugly and nothing would keep up with it's growth! I had to take out the fish and clean/scrub down all the rocks when I had them out. If you want to use these fish for cleaning, it would be better to just increase waterflow. Now I know some people will say that this too would theoretically blow dirt all over the rocks, but not so... It's different. The detritus is more light and stays afloat more in the watercolumn to go down the overflow, while the sand sifted up by the fish is heavier and falls quickly back down onto whatever is below it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast