Tale of a wayward goby

I bought two sharknose gobies from Ivan with my last order. They are wonderful tiny fish and my son and I really love them. About two weeks ago one went missing. Today I was doing a water change and siphoning out the refugium in the basement above the sump. I had the water level down to just an inch when I noticed something moving strangely. It was the missing goby! He was fighting the suction from my tube! I can't believe I even noticed him. I returned him to the tank and guess where he is? Perched right up high on the overflow like he always used to do. Obviously this is how he got into trouble the first time. Cute fish but not very bright. My other one never goes near the surface. Go figure.
    Susan

Susan,
    On 2 different occasions, I too used to have 1 of these and both went down the overflow within days of aquiring them. I think mine also found a pump or something because they simply dissapeared. I also like them but they are too small for a normal tank in my opinion. If they don't get into trouble with the filter system, they simply get lost in a bigger tank.

it's good that you found him. next time you notice one missing you'll have a good idea where to look for him.:wink5:
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

i found a shrimp goby of mine (who i thought was long dead as i havent seen him since the day i got him - about a month) in my overflow box that houses the intake pump to my skimmer. I was feeding the tank and could've sworn i saw something yellow in the box. I took the whole thing apart (because swishing a stick in there didnt get him to jump back out) and poured the water from the box into the tank - but behold the fish did not come out. now ii am confused thinking i must have been seeing things. i look in the box, and there he is, still there - with no water!! i poured out all the water, but he managed to stay in there. i filled it up again and poured him out. I noticed that he is now missing an eye. I dont know how long he has been in there, or how he managed to survive so long if he was in there for such a long time. i am assuming is eye was lost as he was playing around with the pump. As you could imagine, as soon as he was in the tank, i found him swimming back up to the overflow box - not the smartest of gobies i presume. i always thought he would be a bottom dweller, not an overflow box dweller. i saw him yesterdat pop is head out from under a rock, so i am happy to see he is finally making himself comfortable IN THE TANK!!
    Albert
    My Photos

(and he seems to be managing fine with his one eye. - i feel like this guy would probably figure out a way to grow his other eye back)
    Albert
    My Photos

Heh, I just checked my little guy. All eyes accounted for. Your story is similar though. When I was trying to catch him in the refugium there was only a little water in it because I was siphoning it to do a water change. At one point I couldn't find him anywhere which was pretty strange because I'd already taken out all the rock. I found him "perched" on the inside wall of the refugium, about 3" above the water level. I had to gently flick him off the side into the cup I was trying to catch him in. Weird little fishy.

He looks pretty good today though. He is noticeably thicker already.
    Susan

he he. they have managed to outsmart their keepers.
    Albert
    My Photos