Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ich Ich Ich

Ich Ich Ich

Well i've been dealing with Ich for a while now. It was bad enough, my false perc and mandarin showed signs of it!!!.

Right now I have all the fish in a seperate quarantine tank (yellow tang, clown/lined tang, false perc, mandarin), trying the hyposalinity method. Was reading that it is easier on the fish then meds/copper.

They've been in the reduced salinity .009 - .010 for about a week now. Any recomendations you guys have for a time period I should keep these guys quarantined? Also i've increased the temp in the main reef tank to 83 to try and speed up the life cycle of the ich.

geez.. I hate when Ich happens. I've had Ich, and a few things I've learned:
    Don't dose your mandrin with copper, they will die from it. I'm surprised that he's sick, they're supposed to be fairly resistant to Ich.
    I did find using the higher temp really did help out alot. If your mandrin needs meds, Kick Ich will treat them without harm, But, it's expensive, you've got to be precise & very patient, it takes a long time for it to do it's thing, so if he's ailing fast, the Kick Ich won't be in time...
    Good luck.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

ich

from what I'm reading you have a YELLOW and CLOWN tang in a 46 bowtank? In my oppion you will always have probs in that tank until both Tangs die. The tank is way to small to keep a tang happy and 2 will just stress each other out lower immunity system.Not to mention the bioload on the tank system it self. I know this is bad news but Thats a small tank in regards to Saltwater fish. especialy tangs. The mandarin will also deplete pods as thats there main diet and your tank won't grow enough pods.Unles your mandarin is eating prepared foods which is very rare.You'll either have to get a bigger tank or return/sell the tangs. Hope this helps.

If what your fish have is in fact ICH, head over to the attached link to discover everything you need to know about it
    Rob

http://www.aquariacanada.com/library...ow%20Ich.shtml

Both my yellow tang and clown tang are pretty small at the moment. I know that they will both outgrow my current tank and I have plans to upgrade in the future. Also my mandarin is taking brine and mysis, takes a while to feed, but eventually it does take some once a piece floats around long enough for him to snatch it.

The ICH came in on the clown tang, picked it up at the LFS it was mislabled as a yellow eye cole tang, so I got it relatively cheap. Anyways I didn't quarantine him before throwing it in my reef bad move. Live and learn I guess.

Have any of you guys tried the hyposalinity method? what were your results?

If you have just taken the fish out of your main tank and put them in to the QT I would not be doing much to the water at this time because the fish are likely already stressed pretty good from that move. I would treat them as directed at the link above and keep the water in your QT in top condition. If you have not done so already I would put some CLEAN well rinsed coffee mugs in the QT (lay them on their sides) for the fish to hide in.
    Rob

they've been in the quarantine tank for 2 weeks now. The first week I slowly lowered the salinity to .009. So they've been in the lowered salinity for about a week. I do have a few plastic containors for them to hide in. All the fish seem pretty content.

Would you guys recommend dosing them with kick ich or something similar as well? as long as it doesn't contain copper of course.

How long should I keep them out of the main reef tank?

You should keep them out of the main tank until they are cured. The main tank will be safe for them 3 weeks from when you removed the last fish. If you have had them in QT for 2 weeks and they still have ICH you will need to treat them. Lowering salinity will not cure them it just gives the disease some difficulty reproducing. Raising the temp speeds up the disease life cycle so the treatment period can be shortened but you still need to treat the disease. I have no experience with kick ICH so best to wait until someone who has used it responds.
    Rob

I have read that it would be better to leave the main tank "fishless" for at least 4 -6 weeks ... the longer the better to be sure that Ich is gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast