Clams in substrate or on rockwork?

Where's the best place to keep them?
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

LEAF

Depends on the clam and lighting.
    T.CROACEA and T.MAXIMA like the most light and like to be on the rock work were they can attach. T.CROACEA having the stronger foot of the 2 is also a rock burrower and should be right up under the Halides. T.MAXIMA can be on the bed but show be centered right under a Halide and it is good practise to have a clam shell under it or a piece of Liverock so it can attach. Other clams are less light hogs like SQUAMOSA and DERESA. They can and prefer to be on the bed with low flow. It has been said that they definatly should have a flat piece of rock or shell to attach to to keep parasites out.

Thanks Johnny Rock! I have a small T.Maxima. He was he on a rock and looked to be doing very well. I then had a "bright" idea to do a little rock work adjustment. Big mistake as I don't like the look now (after two tries). The clam is on the substrate. I may have, by accident, tore its foot off too. This really sucks! If this is the case, I doubt it will matter were the clam is placed. When I do put him back up on a rock and if in time, I can't seem to move him, is it save to assume that the foot wasn't torn off? Can this still attach somehow without a foot?
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

LEAF

They can and do regrow there bysal gland depending on how much damage was done. bIg clams have been noted to discard there foot/gland when they get really heavy enough to stay put. Clams do not adjust to changes as easily like corals and fish.[ie; waterflow light spectrum/intensity etc.] therefore once you've found a spot you like and they like, try not to move them at all. Hope this helps.

when giving something to attach to they seal up the area with threads which is said to make it hard for things to get in to harm the clam.

The foot itself (meaty part that attaches) can be regrown, however, if the bysal gland is ripped out with it the clam will not survive. I've experienced this recently, unfortunately.
    Susan

Cool FLAMEANGEL

Not to hijack this thread but did you see that SQUAMOSA clam at AC. very very nice color. Wish I had more room.

Yup, nice squamy. I bought one very similar to it just a couple days before Ivan posted the pics. Unfortunately, I found out after I got it home that the foot and entire bysal gland are missing and the poor thing isn't likely to make it

Anyway, I've decided to hold out for a really nice maxima or crocea. The really nice ones do come along now and then.
    Susan