Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Urchins

i didnt find this goby on that site.
    Two Spot Goby - (Signigobius biocellatus)

Toutouche - even if i have filter pads in my Emporer to filter out any of the floating sand particles? i desperately want something to clean/sift my sand, and these guys seems to do the job. i dont want any cucumbers or anything ugly that can also poison my tank (i know there are those - like yours - that dont release toxins, but it may still try to get into my overflow box and all). If i have a Tuxedo Urchin running around my tank, would i still need to worry about the sand/algae on the rocks, or wouldnt he essentially scrub everything clean? from what i hear these guys seem to be heavy duty cleaners.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    A tuxedo urchin does a good job of cleaning what it skims over but IMO, they are too slow and don't cover much ground very fast to do any good. They even tend to stay in one area for quite awhile at a time. Bottomline, they are very good at what they do, but not efficient.
    I still think you should get a cuke and double up on the spaces of your overflow like I did.
    A pad in your filter will remove what manages to get in the intake and will have to be cleaned rather often, but it won't do any good for the sand and dust just floating around in the tank, which will be an awful lot with a sifting goby. If you ask me, I learned my lesson and will never have another one.

shucks. thanks toutouche for your words of experience.
    Albert
    My Photos

what would you think of my getting 2 Tuxedo Urchins (since they are great cleaners, just inefficient).

-putting eggrate and things in my overflow would make it look ugly, IMO. and its not like my tank is so big that you wont notice it.
    Albert
    My Photos

IMO, the urchins are not as effective for a whole tank cleaning job and 2 would put a dent in your coralline perhaps. They just don't do the same type of job, even if they ARE good at what they do. It's hard to say.... Especially since you want something for your sand, urchins just don't spend any time on the sand really.

well i need for sand AND for rocks. ok, so i think i will stick to just one urchin and look for something else to help him out.
    Albert
    My Photos

Diadema urchins will eat much, much more algae off the rocks than a Tuxedo. Much cooler looking too.
    Susan

yeah, but they are pointy and toxic and more destructive. from what i've read, the Tuxedo Urchins are safer.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Are your corals glued down? If so, then you're safe with the Diadema urchin too. They are actually rather gentle. I guess they don't want to break their own spines. Yes, they can also be toxic, but it is more if you're allergic to the toxin, just like Zoo's. If you're really set on a Tuxedo, try and get a more rare type such as the ones with the red spines or green spines on top of the blue body.
    Here's a pic of mine that I used to have and I lost when I had a heatwave problem awhile ago. This one had the red spines.

My diadema never causes problems. He's huge too. I guess I just got lucky and got a graceful one :-)
    Susan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast