Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halimeda Plant

Halimeda Plant

I have recently added this to my tank and wanted to know if anyone has any experience/opinions on it.
    Furthermore, my Tang seems to be nibbling at it, could he just be trying it out then give up on it? or will he eat the whole thing?
    Albert
    My Photos

Albert
    My Photos

ALRHA

take it out, IMO. It sucks up the calcium. They use it for substrate in a lot of foreign countrys so that tells you how much calcium it uses. I had it and got rid of it. Looks nice though.

While I won't comment with as much passion as John..., I also agree that you'd be better off without it. Why add stuff that consumes or takes away from the corals which we already fight to keep in good condition. Why cause a competition for what they need to survive.

even if i add calcium to my tank? Everything uses calcium, does it really suck out ALL the calcium in my water that it will be affecting the corals?
    Albert
    My Photos

Cool ALRHA

The plant grows a lot faster than the corals. If in the main tank you might have trouble getting rid of it after it takes hold.
    And, it will use lots of your calcium which at a premium cost why bother. There are tons of other MACRO's and KAULERPRA's that you can use if its for the refugium. Just be really careful if considering putting any plant/algea in your tank. Once they take hold look out! RAZOR/BLADE being one of the worst. I've had a rock with this on it and it sat in my sump in the dark for a month,it regrew as soon as I gave it light.

i have to disagree with Johnny and Toutouche on this one. i ran a 50 gallon with a 15 gallon refugium full of halimidia for a year and a half and i never had a problem with calcuim, it was always over 400. i think that after the halmidia established itself, and i had a bit of calcified "leaves" on the substrate, it helped maintained a constant calcium level in the tank. i've had my 90 gallon up for a month now, with the halmidia transfered to a 30 gallon refugium and when i tested my calcuim on monday, it was 465. i agree that it uses calcium, but not on the scale that everyone believes. however, there are much better macros out there that will absorb nutrients faster and not use calcuim that your tang will eat.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Cool Halimeda

They use dry out halimeda plant for substrate in a lot of countrys. It drys out to a hard as nails calcium/carbonate based product. So, it must be taking a lot of calcium out of the water? Now, you must be adding additives no? if you test and your low then you add, or if your on a good shedule then your always adding the same amount and testing good.If you didn't have the plant, then you would need to add less additives,The plant can't release the calcium back into a usable product for corals allive or dead. Just my oppion and research as I to have had the plant for a year. But, on the flip side it is nice looking[sorta like a cactus] and if you don't mind loosing the realstate and calcium then go ahead.

the only way that i replaced calcium was with water changes, which were once or twice a month. So when the halmidia dies and turns white, it will not release any calcuim back into the system? does it release any form of calcuim when it dies? if it is a calcium/carbonate based product, would it not provide some type of buffering capacity to the system?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

about as much buffering as the substrate we use in our tanks. very very little buffering, thats why in the Reactors we need to add Co2 to dissolve the media.[I believe the Co2 drops the ph value] were you dripping Kalk Barry? reason I ask is I've never seen any synthetic salts bring calcium up past 3oo,350 max. Could be the test kit was off at the time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast