Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Somethings Wrong!

OK, maybe you guys can help me figure this out. yesterday we hooked up the new Lifereef skimmer, and today my corals almost all look terrible. THe torch is showing tissue recession up the stock from the bottom. The hammer and frogspawn are totally shrivelled and the hammer is showing a bit of bleaching . The open brain is closed right up. THe caulastrea is very miserable.The acros are closed and pale. The montipora's are closed and pale. THe hydnphores are closed up tight. But the fox is happy, the gorgonian is happy, and all the inverts seem fine.

OK, so this is what happened yesterday. Lights were off for several hours and I traded an old bulb for a new bulb. Circulation increased alot after the new skimmer was turned on. I added some carbon. I disturbed the deep sand bed in the back a few times trying to sink a post to support the pump. That didn't work well so then we made a basket out of wire mesh and hung it in that. Could something be leaching from the mesh? It is hardware cloth- glavanized maybe?

THe current isn't that much greater and the acros should be happier. Or maybe I upset the corals yesterday and they all dumped toxins into the water? Some snails were spawning last night too. And my urchin is up and about today - but he is nocturnal so this is weird too. And I found a small dead worm floating in the water column. The fish are all fine. SO far. HELP!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

i would say the new bulb, disturbed sand bed, and perhaps the effects of more current (and perhaps air bubbles coming from your skimmer?) threw a curveball at everyone. give them some time to adjust and see if they start to open up again. i would think it would be normal for them to get a little 'scared' from these changes and close up in defense. it could also be defensive toxins released into the water as well as you mentioned. i dont know about that mesh, but if its not a problem, i think everyone will get used to their new environment shortly.
    Albert
    My Photos

I think ti may be stress from all of the adjustments and movements you made to the system yesterday. I personally will never use anything that is made of any metal in my tanks. I just don't trust what may leak out. With all the disturbing you did in the tank yesterday, I would give the corals a day or two to adjust and then start to work on a solution. It's only my opinion but I would get rid of the wire or metal in the tank. Sorry I can't much more help but I have disturbed my tank on many occassions only to have my corals look horrible for a couple days after. Check water and sit tight....it may take a day or so...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

wow

Aton of things changed over night! I'll try to help but without being there its hard. First, get that wire outa there! any metal besides TITANIUM ain't a good idea.
    second, you said you disturbed the sandbed and made a mess,this would be my first and formost conclusion to your troubles. It should settle and you[hopefull will be okay] should see an improvement quickly.
    third, installing the skimmer you said you had more flow?? is it a hangon? if not shouldn't the [more flow[ be in the sump]?
    The carbon shouldn't have cause any probs unless you forgot to wash it at first.
    fourth, did you need to make up more water right away[big skimmer?] maybe the combo of new water and messing up the bed was enought to cause a reaction.
    fifth. a new light should be cut back on hours till corals reacclimate, maybe a week?

I see some posted while I was writing, all the above is great info. I did something similar a month back. I added 30lb of base rock and a kickass skimmer all the while making a mess in the sump. corals didn't like it but bounced back. Almost lost my prized Bubble but he seems to be making a comback.

looks like we all agree pretty much that all the disturbances may have been what caused this. sit tight and keep us posted.
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yup, I agree with all the above...
    However I must stress that you get that wire mess cloth thing out of the tank ASAP...

And a large waterchange ASAP wouldn't hurt.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

hi Gail,

i agree on removing the wire mesh, coated or not. try using the "eggcrate" light diffuser stuff. as for the light, if you only replaced one of the four VHO you have, it shouldn't have that much effect. i'd also start running carbon to remove any toxins if they where released yesterday by your messing around in the tank. also, may be worth your while to do a water change. she uses natural sea water from the same source. did you add a bunch of water to the tank when you put the skimmer in? if so, would the water cause the problem?

i'd try to solve you problem in the following order;

first suspect is the wire basket. remove
    second is water quality due to disuption or bad water added when skimmer installed. test tank and extra water and do water change.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

ARRG to the rescue! I love you guys! Aven and Barry are here - after driving to get 40 gallons of water from Steve at Dal and then 1 !/2 hour drive to get here. My tank has zinc contamination. I have a dead brittle star and almost lost the urchin but got himout in time. Gotta run. More later.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

ouch sorry to hear about that gail hope everything turns out good for you.
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast