Courting .. or just nuts???

I have 7 blue / green chromis in my tank. As a rule they school around the tank in a loose formation but hide alone in different places at night. They are about 1 and 1/2 inches long and I have had them for almost 7 months. Yesterday evening 2 of them left the school and went to the bottom of the tank and started swimming aroundin a small circle close to each other without touching. I don't know how they did it but they did something with their scales That made them both look as shinny silver in color and reflection as a new quarter. This activity was repeated 3 times in a row over about 20 minutes but was halted each time when they were disturbed by other curious fish.
    Rob

Cool mating

sure sounds like it from what I've read. My clowns do something similar before laying eggs. My 2 chromis haven't done the dance of love yet. maybe there both guys![ not that were against that same sex marriage thing]

I have had Catalina Gobi's breed in a past tank but did not see them courting. All I saw of that breeding was one of them spitting newborn out of it's mouth and into the waiting mouths of other fish.
    If any eggs were to be laid would they be stuck to something or just scattered over the gravel on the tank bottom?
    Rob

From what I've seen at a local LFS in the reef tank, Damsels usually lay under large corals or rock overhangs.
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ReefVan ... I will have to check around the tank then. Do you know if they hang around to watch over the eggs or just lay them and leave? Would they be easy to spot in a close inspection of the viewable areas?
    Rob

Well ... I have searched high and low and have found NO EGGS and he fish have stopped beheaving the way they were last week. I have not been keeping a log on this tank as it will soon be switched off for a larger one and I now regret that because I have no idea what changed in the tank to cause them to court. That is of course if that was in deed what they were doing.
    Rob