Somethings wrong- Update

Well, everything is back in the main tank now. Somethings look better, and nothing looks worse so that is good. The urchin- Sabre- is still hanging in there so that is a good sign as he is the most susceptible.

I have done some searching and Lamotte makes test kits for zinc. THere is a distributor in Fredericton so I will call them tomorrow and have a kit sent asap. I just hope they have one in stock. Meanwhile- another major water change tomorrow as long as the weather cooperates. Although I am also getting a big tub of that fake salt water ready too. *shudder*
    I will keep you all posted. It is so great to have this board at times like this!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Gail I am glad to hear that things are going good. We all learned a bit from your experience. I am very imprested with people’s readiness to help on this board.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Thanks Aqua! Without my support team my tank would be toast by now!!!
    And when I think about what a STUPID thing we did, I can't believe we actually did it ! Doh!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Don't be too hard on yourself Gail. These things always look worse in hindsight. Yours and Barry's quick actions saved your tank. That's all that counts now. Good idea to get the kit though. It will be nice to see that read zero!
    Susan

Gail,

If possible, I'd also toss in a few polyfilter pads, if you've got them, to help with toxic metal export.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Good idea Jason. Gail, MOPS has them.
    Susan

Ya - Barry mentioned those. I will call asap and get some.
    Thanks guys! THings look much better today. The frogspawns are open, and the hydnophores. I siphoned out about 1/4 inch of sand and replaced it with lovely white aragonite . Perty! Well, petty cloudy right now but it will be nice soon. The spaghetti worms are all alive and well - came right thru the sand in minutes. More later.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Cool

I still think the probs were mostly due to the stir up in the tank. While the metal mesh ain't good I don't think it was that quick and from what I've learned most inverts&corals will deposit metals either in there skeleton or fatty tissue.This could kill them at a later date but theres not much data on this. Just my oppion. copper now will apparently react a lot quicker with saltwater.P.S Why didn't you just add the update to the orriginal thread? At least this way anyone who subscribed to the first thread will auto, get notified. I was going back to read the first posts again and was wonder were the heck they went "lol"

Sorry Johnny Rock- didn't mean to lose you! Actually though- I really didn't stir up the tank that badly . A very small area in the back - about 3 inches or - and I was just pushing a PVC into it. The water only clouded locally and for a very short time. Zinc reacts very quickly- much quicker than copper for example. I really only mentioned it as a part of the big picture. I have done much worse DSB disturbances with no problems - or very temporary ones. I am pretty sure it was the zinc from all the reading I have been doing. Within 24 hours it will be toxic to echinoderms and the brittle star and urchin went first- although the urchin is still hanging in there. Also- only some corals are susceptible to zinc while others aren't- which explains my very happy fox and lobophyllia and dead acros. The mesh was right under the MAg950 so it corroded quickly and spread quickly. I know my tank and it forgives me pretty quick for sand bed disturbances. THis time it just got worse and worse instead of better and better. Anyway- I am ordering a zinc test kit. Apparently it is most toxic to microalgaes like diatoms- so - hey- maybe I won't have a diatom problem now!!! Might as well look at the bright side!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Cool

wow, yeh I guess your right! hope everything turns out okay. sometimes we do crazy things eh! I know, bin there.