Thread: Brittle Stars

Brittle Stars

Well a while back I removed about 15 very tiny brittle stars from my substrate and placed them in a smal tank by themselves...I feed them mysis shrimp that when settled, they climb on at night. They are actually growing at an incredible rate. In the main tank they get eaten by predators but these are really easy to raise.

Has anyone else done this? I have three brittle stars inmy main tank and can easily pick 10 a day from the substrate on any given night when the tank is dark.

Who knows...maybe a new business venture...

"MOUSE'S BRITTLE STARS INC."
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo
    You go Mouse!!!! AC will help you sell them

Are they tiny white ones? If so, they are not offspring from bigger types of the brittle stars. They are a certain species all of their own. They will also "stay" that small and reproduce very easily. They are one of those common hitchhikers that arrive on good quality LR and quite often with corals such as Xenia, buttons, etc. Most often the corals that have a somewhat large base where they can easily hide in. They are an excellant part of your cleaners and should be considered as such.
    Not to bust your bubble but mostly all mature/established tanks have lots of these.

No these ones are very black....I have the little whites ones but I leave those for fish food.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!