Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally!

finally!

I have finally gotten around to hooking up the new sump and frag tank system, still have the auto top-off to install, along with the filtration system.
    Speaking of filtration systems, I am running one mechanical and 2 chemical filters, then finally to a U/V device, anyone recommend running a bypass, ie leaving the phosphate and carbon filters out of the loop? to be added as required?

http://www.oceansmotions.com/paul/jan24-sump.jpg

Paul

must have been a tough question.

well if your water is not coming out of a RO unit then I would say that the phosphate filter should be in place all the time. Most people who use carbon also leave it in place running all the time .
    Rob

Neat and tidy looking set up by the way :-)
    Rob

Thanx Rob

Now thats an intelligent answer, water is from an RO/DI system, I guess the question was really do I need to run both carbon and or phosphate filters all the time or would I be better to use them only when required.

If all the water in your tank including the water for the first fill is from a RO unit .. and all water that will go in to it in the future will be ... then I doubt you will need the phosphate filter. How ever if you intend to have a heavy load and feed a lot you could run it when the signs of unwanted algae appear. I also run a UV and my algae is in good control in spite of HEAVY feeding. My tank is not algae free but I only need to clean the front pane once every 2 weeks since I added that unit. The carbon will also remove unwanted dyes and a lot of other stuff that can make water "colored". If you want a Crystal clean "sparkling" look run it all the time but you will have to maintain it and that stuff can be costly depending on the # of gallons it needs to treat. If you put a Good pre-filter in front of the carbon you will see that it will last a lot longer.
    Rob

Keep in mind that carbon pulls out a lot of good stuff as well as bad, like iodine for example. Constant use of carbon has also been linked to lateral line erosion in fish...My two cents would be to use carbon only once every couple of monthes to pollish the water and only for a couple of days at a time.
    There is nothing wrong with running phosphate removers all the time if you want to spend the money, however, I don't think it is necessary to do so unless you are skimmerless and feeding a lot of fish. A well established system, with a normal bioload and maybe a lit macro algae refugium will go a long way towards managing phosphates, as will Kalkwasser. Both of which are more natural and cheaper in the long run (and pretty essential in a frag grow out system, I think)...
    Add the by pass so that you have flexability to adapt in the future...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Think about Reefmutts point carefully... he is correct. Highly polished water is devoid of ALMOST EVERYTHING. Unfortunately we can't haver it both ways .. sparkling water and food in it for filter feeders at the same time.
    Rob

I am happy to Reefmutts response, It was my personal opinion and thats why posted the question, there seems to be a lot of "goodness" that we pull out of the water leaving it pretty well devoid of anything, sounds like we are taking out everything to get to the bad 20% and then adding 80% good stuff back in again.

I am no expert on this and will heed the warning, thanx for the response, the filtration system will be plumbed with bypasses,and used when required or on some timed basis.

don't you hate it when you hit the wrong key...

as I was saying, thank you for the respose could you, Reefmutt, please explain why you think the kalkwasser is a bonus in a frag system, and, if the frag system is plumbed into the main system do you treat the frag tank any different and why?

thanx

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast