Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linkia and clam

linkia and clam

I’m interested in getting a linkia starfishfor my tank but………..I have a Maxima clam. Several people told me linkias eat clams. Does anyone actually have clams sharing space with a linkia? Or is this information an urban legend?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I know that Johnny Rock has a burgandy linkia, and he also has several clams (a derasa and a Maxima I think)...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Question linkeas

They do not go near clams at all. They like slimy sludge and film algea. Mine loves to try to get into the overflow box as he knows thats were all the good slimy gunk is.

Interesting…….now I do not know what to do.

On RC, some guy just found today his new orange linkia stuck to his clam. He does not know whether his clam will make it.

Different animals and diffrent tanks and different luck I guess.

2 things could have happened. Either he doesn't have a true linkea or the clam died overnight and the clam was just cleaning up. Clams die and its quick when they do.

Interesting……..thank you Johnny Rock.

So I should give it a try?

To prevent me from buying something wrongly labeled linkia, what are a few things I should be looking for? How can I correctly and positively ID a linkia, and not something else sold as a linkia?

Talking

best way! order from IJO, He has educated suppliers and the product is healthy and no one can beat his price. On the starfish itself[LINKEA] I,m not to sure on telltale signs but the blue and burgundy are Linkeas and I think theres another orange color'd star that closely resembles the orange linkea and is not good for reefs. I'll do some research on this later for ya and post it.

Thanks for all the information.

Much appreciated.

Marc,
    A blue Linkia should have a nice blue color to it. Not pale or grey/blue looking. It should also be a nice even color throughout the whole body. The body itself should be nice and plump, not flat looking. There should be absolutely no visible marks or discoloring on the entire body. A good test if one is healthy is to flip it upside down with your finger and if it's healthy, it will immediately slowly start to turn itself right back up again. Any healthy star will never stay upside down, even for a moment.
    bout the star and clam compatibility, that is false info that they will eat a clam. Linkias are vegetarians and eat only the biofilm on the glass and rock. There are many other stars that are carnivores, but not Linkias.
    Just look at my avatar for a good pic of what one looks like.
    How is the tank doing? Are the parameters stable and always good? Clams need very good stability and good reef quality water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast