Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going to the States... possible to bring back livestock?

Just wondering if anyone has ever brought back livestock from the States. If so, is it a big deal to the point of not even trying, or are there other "ways" to do it without the annoyances of customs. I'm not talking about large items like hard corals or clams, but some colourful zoos would be nice.

I have to go down for a couple of weeks and I know there are good prices to be had. I would like to bring some stuff back with me if possible.

Thanks!
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

You could always try. just put it in a lunch cooler and put a few bags of chips over top or such. I'm sure it can be done but!! I'm not sure of the legalitys if your caught!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Coral and saltwater fish are regulated by CITES regulations. You have to apply for a special CITES license in order to bring anything over the border.
    If you're caught at the border trying to bring any fish or coral into canada WITHOUT a license, you could face serious fines and even jailtime.

I wouldn't risk it.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

there ya have it.

I guess that says it all... thanks!
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

Ummm, are you certain about the fish? I've brought them over and claimed them at the border without any problems at all. I think it is just corals

I'm pretty sure Tang Man is right on this one. I think you were LUCKY that the person who handled your crossover did not know the rules.
    Rob

If the fish is on CITES. But not all fish are considered endangered. If you have a specific species in mind, you can search the CITES database at www.cites.org . If not found, then it's not listed on CITES, and thus you don't need a CITES permit. You may need a Fish & Wildlife permit, however, I'm not certain (never tried).

AFAIK none of the hosting anemone species are CITES. Some softeys may be on the list but I think not all. Just about any stoney coral is. Live rock, and live sand are also considered CITES.

There is Appendix I and Appendix II CITES too. I forget which one is which, but one of them means "you need a permit to import" and the other one means "don't even think about it" (i.e., you'll never get a permit unless it's for medical or research purposes). If I understand this correctly.

HTH...
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

I'm not a lawyer but I found this web page from Fisheries and Oceans Canada. They indicate that Canada does not restrict importation of ornamental fish as used in the aquaria hobby unless they are listed in the CITES database. They include a link to the CITES database. It is not easy to browse it but, all of the hard corals I checked were listed in the database while none of the fish were (except for seahorses). None of the soft corals I checked out were listed (and I have seen elsewhere that CITES applies to hard corals but not to soft corals).

Take this with a grain of salt. You still might want to check with an official source. But, there may be openings to import fish at least.

Here is the lURL:
    http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aqu...namental_e.htm
    Nick

CITES is geared mainly towards the Scleractinia order of coral species. That is, those that posess calcium carbonate skeletons.

It's really not worth it though. If you get customs guys and you mention the word "coral" to them, they'll immediately sieze your stuff until they know that it's not on the CITES database list. And if you DO try to import stony corals, and you get caught, it's pretty much over. Kiss your car, possessions, etc, good bye.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast