Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

nitrates..too high??

my tank has been going for six mts now. besides from a bit of red slime algae it seems pretty stable now. my nitrates however are 20ppm is that to high to add corals? I know it should be 0ppm but i am waiting on some nitrate sponge to come in. it looks as if i can get my had on some shroom frags, which if i can get, i dont want to pass up.

Cool

its a little high but shrooms should be okay. I'm suprized you have those readings after 6 months! do you have lots of fish that you feed heavy? or what are you using for filtration?[liverock]

Atlantic, just to be on the safe side, you might want to do a water change. Not only will it releive you of nitrates, but you will also stock up on the right amount of trace elements, Iodine, etc.... that have, I'm shure, all been consumed in six months. monthly water changes are a must with corals... (depending on the kind and the load...)
    Good Luck
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

i have only 15lbs of live rock in there. i only have tap water to top up with, so i was thinking about checking out the natural sea water in a local cove and see how the water is there (the guys in NS seem to be having success with it). as for bioload, i only have a coral beauty, cleaner shrimp and some hermits and snails. i think the nitrates are a result of the crash i had, and they have been slowly decreasing ever since. also im using an emp 400, and i think i may be getting nitrates from that as well. the filter pads have not been changed in that for a while, and im not sure if changing them will disrupt my biological or not, some people have told me not to change them, (since im recovering from a crash 3mts ago) and some have told me that may be causing my nitrate problem....see my dilemma

wow, look at you, now everything finally comes out.
    ok, so first of all, the tap water is your first problem. use NSW if you can, or at least filtered/distilled/or RO/DI water.
    the emp can also raise nitrates according to many. the bio-wheel supposedly raises nitrates although i am not yet sure how ( i will post a thread on that). another problem with mechanical filtration in general is lack of maintenance (i.e. leaving a dirty filter pad in) because it will just sit there and decay raising your nitrates rather than either being cleaned out or left in the tank for the clean-up crew.
    mushrooms will probably be fine, but if you are looking to add corals and are looking to have a healthier tank, try to remedy those issues.
    Albert
    My Photos

thanks Albert.
    im just new at this, and you here so much diffrent information from so many diffrent people all im trying to do is keep the tank healthy....and im just learning.
    so...ive got to change the pads and do a water change with some NSW.....ok....lets see what happens
    thanks again.

thats the same way we all learn atlantic. always striving for the best and acheiving it by learning from experience and from others.
    Albert
    My Photos

atlantic,
    I don't even use filter pads in my tank. I have a 33 G kinda like you but I don't want to remove the suspended particles in the water. First, they don't really do anything rong, and secondly, they give a more natural look to the reef system, and also feed some corals. But tap water is a big no no... if you take them out, you will disturb the biological activity, and that is really the downfall of filter pads. In a reef, I try to remove as less as possible, so I therefore put stuff in the tank that I know will stay for a while and won't need changing.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

hummm....to late.... ive already changed on side. i will leave the other one and keep my fingers crossed. i wish i never started with them, but thats all i can do now. maybe i can slowly rid myself of them.

just clean them off and put them back in. you never want to leave decaying matter in your tank under any circumstances (unless its under 200lbs of Live Rock, in which case you instruct your cleanup crew to take care of it)
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast