Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high calcium

high calcium

I have a friend who started a fish-only tank. They asked me a question and I really didn't have a sure answer to give them so I thought I would ask around. They are using Crystal Sea marine Mix and the calcium is through the roof. They are having an algae problem now too. I haven't had any experience with this kind of salt and I was wondering if that could be the cause? Does anyone know if the salt could be doing this, and has anyone had any problems with this salt? Maybe too much calcium directly in the salt? It does say something on the packaging about higher levels of calcium or calcium added. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!!

Cool

try'd the salt, had many problems with corals bleaching and so did alot of other reefers. was it the salt? or the changings of salts IO to CS but I'll never use it again. Calcium thru the roof? I dought it unless your seeing alot of precipitation out of the water[kinda looks like its snowing in your tank] thats when you know theres to much calcium. What is the measurments by the way? hope I helped a bit. I'm running my calcium at 480

thats what mine is in the tank. I had to add stuff to get it up there. It was only 420 i think when I first started adding the Sera calcium plus. Now its stable at 480. Theirs is at 520 now and I guess it was higher then that at one point. The only coral they have in the tank is a star polyp and I guess they don't see much of the polyps anymore... just the "purple mat". I said maybe a water change... but if its the salt, then thats kinda pointless! Its a 90 gallon and only a couple little fish in it and some crabs. I don't know what else to say. I am using IO and red Sea. ( thought I would give that one a try) and so far its been good!

If they aren't adding any calcium additives I don't see how the salt itself could be raising the calcium like that. Ask what they are using for top off water and for the water they mix their salt in. A friend of mine was using well water that had tons of calcium in it and used to get readings like that.

I also tried to switch from IO to Crystal Seas and it was the worst thing I ever did to my tank. I lost 4 beautiful clams, had serious problems with my acros, and many minor things. I don't think it was the salt itself though. As Johnny said, it was more likely the combination of the two salts in transition. I'll never use it again either.
    Susan

Well if this tank a "recent set" up and fine crushed coral sand is being used it the tank as bottom cover that could be pushing the numbers up.
    Rob

Why switch ?

Wendell

Why Switch ... That's how I feel about it. And if one really did want to switch the salt they are using I would think that it would need to be done over a very long time with very small amounts. Like perhaps 90% existing salt to 10% new brand during water changes with an small increase of the new brand each time you do a water change. It would be a long long time before the water in the tank was made up of the new salt alone if ever.
    Rob

thanks for all the responses! I myself was using IO, but I am slowly making the change over to red sea. At the rate I am going it will be months before its all done and it is only a 55!
    As for my friend, thats the salt she was told to by from the shop she went too and she is using bottled spring water for top ups and so on. Anyway that this could be lowered some how? Lots of stuff available to raise it, but nothing to lower it. What other dangers is she looking at if she rides it out, and hope once the tank is good and established that it goes down?I haven't heard many good things about the salt they are using so far. (crystal sea)
    Thanks again

The bottled spring water is the most likely source of the added calcium. Tell your friend to start doing the water changes with bottled distilled water and the levels should start to fall. Spring water is full of all kinds of stuff you do not want in your tank.
    Rob

She is so stuck on listening to them ( i don't want to mention the stores name). i will pass all this info on to her, and hopefully she will take the advice and use it wisely Thank you again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast