Thread: Pink anemone

Pink anemone

I was at the RS today and they had the most beautiful light pink, with dark pink tipped BTA, and they looked healthy.
    I think they may have been dyed, the color didn't look natural.
    Has anyone heard of this and what are the chances of it happening.
    I've not read or come across pastel pink anemones like this, nor read about them, the books usually refer to rose tipped BTA and I've seen them before.
    If they aren't dyed i'll grab one.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

you never can really tell if they are dyed, I've never heard of them being dyed, but I'm sure it isn't impossible....Maybe it has bleached a bit in shipping- which wouldn't be suprising. The colour you describe doesn't sound all that strange for a rose anemone. They come in a wide range of hues, sometimes the foot is the same colour as the tentacles and sometimes it is more green or a paler beige colour.
    I would say the only real way to tell if it is healthy is to feed it. If it reacts quickly to food and closes up around it, it is probably in good shape. I don't know if the store will let you, but you could also try touching it, if it has no stickyness or doesn't react at all to being touched, I'd give it some time or not buy it at all. Maybe they will hold it for you for a while.
    A word of caution, though, I find that b.t.a.s DON"T like shrimp- I've almost killed mine by feeding it shrimp, so if you try feeding it, give it a silverside or something.
    Good luck! If they are healthy and do well, I'll be jealous because they sound really nice and rose anemones ain't that common anymore! AND they can make an awesome display in a reef.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks
    I'd heard recently that they do color them in yellow and pink.
    I'll go back in the next day or two and have another look, and ask if I can feed one and have the staff touch one, they wont let me. (that's assuming they're still there...)
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)