Swing Arm Hydrometers

I stepped on mine today and I still havent got my Refractometer so I need one to mix salt. Opinions on Seatest or Deep6. Which do you find to be the most accurate.

MINIATUS

From what I have been told all plastic swing arm Hydrometers are not accurate. This being the case it is likely that no 2 units even from the same manufacture would give accurate results, and maybe not even the same results from one to the next. You might as well flip a coin to decide because when your refractometer arrives you will likely be surprised. My sea test unit was off a lot.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Not sure what to tell ya...

I have 2 seatest... one is dead on (as per my Pinpoint), and the other is 3 points too high. The one that is off, I got recently.

I never tried the Deepsix, however, I heard that it too, is way off (on the high side).
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Miniatus,
    a cheap alternative is the floating type hydrometer a bit better than the swing arm type.. untill your refracto arrives

Cool

I use the floating style and it works great! you could compare it with some one or just go for it. Try it in your existing water that you already know the sal, and go from there. Hope this helps

I think I'll wait for the refactometer to come in and save 15 bucks. The tank was totaly tore down to day anyway, damn cuke nuked the tank last week. Rock is stored in buckets of water. and what left of my inhabitants are savely stored at the LFS. RO/DI and refractometer should be here this week.

MINIATUS

That's too bad Alan. I hope you can get started again soon. What kind of cuke did you have?

Vickie

Vickie
    How you doing. Sand Cuke, didnt notice it on the large umbrella .when it nuked I was gone for close to day, by then the damage was done.

MINIATUS

I wanted a cuke but haven't decided on which one I want. I thought that they were fairly hardy. Did I get that wrong?

When will you start the tank back up?

Vickie

It will be up and running next weekend, as soon as my new RO?DI arrives from IJO.

MINIATUS