Thread: Bubble Algae

Bubble Algae

I'm having huge trouble with an infestation of buble algae in my tank. I know emerald crabs eat this but then they die when the algae is gone and then it's reintroduced in the tank, the crab is gone, blah, blah... it's growing like crazy and now it's all over the pumps. I bought one crab and he's not eating enough...
    any comments?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I had a bad problem with it as well.

It was only solved by removing the rock and scrubbing the rock outside the tank.
    Rinse the rock in new saltwater before putting it back in the tank, when scrubbing bubble algae, you spread spores all over.
    By rinsing the rock elsewhere, you can get rid of the spores.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

hmmm so everytime it is introduced, you must scrub and disturb your rock structure?

If you can pry them off the surface of your rock without breaking them, do that, but some times a scrubbing is the only way to really deal with it. By the way, emerald crabs eat stuff besides bubble algae. Feel free to toss in algae wafers or pieces of meaty foods to keep them fed once the valonia is gone.

I've also heard anecdotal reports that a UV sterilizer is effective at killing it off, since the spores don't survive the UV. If it's really bad, you may want to borrow one from someone and try it for a while, or buy one and run it periodically.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

I bought 4 emerald crabs. They solved the problem nicely. They didn't die when the valonia was gone though, they eat other food too.
    Susan

Cool conan

I would just like to add that it won't always come back or be reintroduced and is indicative of new tanks or nutrient imbalance. I had it once before as well and I would just either ride it out or when they got big carefully remove them as suggested. Rock work could also be removed and scrubbed as TANG had stated but I always use that as a last resort. Over feeding,to many fish,weak skimming,lack of refugium and bad flow[jammed packed rock structure] all help the ALGEA get a foot hold.Hope this helps some.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Yup,

Scrubbing was indeed last resort for me as well. I tried the emerald crabs (who never touched the stuff). I know many people have had luck with emerald crabs and even rabbit fish. I ended up taking the afflicted rock out and scrubbing it. I have before and after pictures somewhere...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

cool. thanks guys, that really helps. I thought my water conditions where good. I guess I could open up my rock structure a bit. It's just that my crab died when he was finished his work last time... we shall see. Since I only have a 33G, I don't have a fuge... is that a problem?