liv

using natural lighting ie: Sun ... anyone ?

Just wondering if there is any pros & cons to use natural lighting.

you would have to compensate for winter light.
    also, most likely will get more algea.

anybody doing this at the moment ?

IMO it is best to be in FULL control of the light over your tank. That way there are no variables to contend with when making decisions about what is or is not working.
    Rob

well, I dont see why it should be different than the lighting on the reef (it will still likely be less intense, especially in the winter). If you have low nutrients and a good clean-up crew, i wouldnt see why not. But then again, as Salty mentioned, you give-up some control.
    sometimes in the late afternoon i open my curtains and let some sun shine on half the tank around sunset. i dont think it really does anything, but i just want to remind them of what it feels like to bask in the sun.
    Albert
    My Photos

One person explained why not to this way. When daylight passes through glass (window or tank) the spectrum shifts to more of what algae like. How true this is, I don't know.

My tank gets the afternoon sun as well and I think everything looks so much nicer when sunlit.

Vickie

They propagate corals at Dalhousie in the green house on the roof with just natural sunlight. But just the softies, the sps have sunlight and MH's I think. I have sunlight hitting my tank in the morning before my lights come on. Well, when there IS sunlight - which doesn't seem to be very often these days! I really like how it looks too.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Hey Gail ... I will bet that the glass used to build the Dalhousie greenhouse is special full spectrum glass. I had tank covers made by Ocean aquarium once with this type of glass and it has a semi transparent material bonded to its surface that magnifies the light and corrects the spectrum. It is claimed to deliver 99.99 percent of the light provided by the source. There is also a heat issue to take into account as well. A tank in a window that is subjected to full sun will warm up pretty good in short order. IMO subjecting the tank to natural sun light adds an inconsistency to the setup that is not needed given the lighting we use. The only thing I want in my setup that is not consistent is the direction of the water movement.
    Rob

During certain seasins, one side of my tank is directly in the bright morning sunlight and it is incredibly noticeable how much more the corals are nice and bushy when this happens. I'm reeeally sure they enjoy it. I also have absolutely no algae problems. IMO, if your tank is mature and stable, there should be no reason for any type of bloom just from some sunlight.
    Anthony Calfo used to use sunlight only on his coral propagation greenhouse. He did have supplemental lighting rigged up just the same in case and during those winter months, but aside from that, he used the sun mostly. As a sidenote, he claims that even the winter sun is strong enough.

liv
    great ! thx for all the responce, :thumb:
    reason why i'm asking is that i am thinking of getting a little tank in another room where there is a sky light and I would use that natural lighting.

its just an idea for now...

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I recall reading about a gizmo (kindof like a reflective light tunnel) thats you can install over your tank that channels sunlight (from the outside of course) into your aquarium.

Apparently works very well, but you still need to supplement, unless of course you live near the equator.